Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Quilty Christmas in July


A Merry Hexie Quilty in July!

My quilty corner has been enveloped in the longest, hottest heat wave of the summer.  While I have been staying inside in the breeze of the AC and quilting the table quilts for My Girl and Her Groom, I have been enjoying my breaks by cooling off with all the Christmas in July quiltiness in blogland.

While I am quilting I am dreaming of a Quilty Christmas.

Visions of my project for the ...
 
are dancing in my head!

I am posting on August 9th!

To get into the spirit I took a picture of the
 
 
 Hexie Quilty Trivet that I made last year.
 
It was made as a quilt test project from a sample block I made for the
 
 
Tumbling Christmas Blocks Quilt


featured in my Quilty Christmas Open House post.
Tutorials for the "no y seams" easy piecing of this traditional pattern
may be found in My Tutorials.
 
Here is a pictorial of how I made the Hexie Trivet:
 
 
2 diamonds and 2 triangles to make this block
The triangles are sewn to the top of the diamonds and then
the seams are nested and the two units are sewn together
to make the third diamond.
Sewn into strips, these make tumbling blocks with no "y" seams.
 
 
quilted onto batting and backing

 
 QAYG borders added

 
more quilting


trimmed to hexagon shape
 
 
ready to finish
 
 
flannel backing and binding.
 
 
I used this last on my holiday table.
I am planning to make more quilty trivets this year.
 
Have you been following these cool and Christmasy blog hops?
 
 
Christmas in July Blog Hop @ The Crafty Quilter

or
 
my personal favorite blog hop for this month ...
 
 
 
from one of my LQS, Quilter's Way
 
Lots of great ideas and tutorials to get you in the
Christmas in July spirit!
 
Enjoy!
 
Happy Christmas in July!

:o)