Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Playing in New Snow with my Snowman Quilt!



It snowed again here yesterday and last night.

I ventured out when the sun attempted to break through the winter gray
to  play in the snow  with my


and to see if I could get a better photo of my quilt.

This photo may be better but it does not really show the crisp whiteness on black.

I love this quilt! 


I had a question from a reader about the quilting on this quilt.

So here is what I did: 

First I  trimmed the quilt square and sandwiched it.

I smooth the top and backing fabric to the batting from the center to the all the edges.

I press it lightly being careful to not touch iron to the batting.

I do not use pins.

I never pin, even for large quilts.


 I stitched in the ditch along the long seams where the blocks meet
then around the inner border,
then around the outer edge 1/8" of an inch from the edge of the top.
Then I went back to fill in the rest of the quilting ...


I quilted with my walking foot around the logs in the blocks from the outer strips inward.

It would have been hard to quilt the center square with the buttons on without this heavy duty  foot that I could lift over the buttons.

In retrospect, it might have been easier to sew the buttons on after the quilting was completed,
but I enjoyed seeing the happy snowmen faces while I worked and stitching buttons on though the batting may have been difficult for my hands.


I added the "snowflakes" with my walking foot.

I stitched forward and back through a center point in three lines to make six points.


Here is the quilting on the blocks.


For the border,  I added some snowflakes to the wheel design in the print.

Then with my walking foot I added long wavy lines around the snowflakes to suggest swirling snow.

So this was quilted entirely by my walking foot.


The backing fabric is a bold black and white zig zag  from  Caleb Gray

The binding is the same solid black as the night sky in the snowmen block centers.

This quilt measures 41" square finished.

The perfect size for a WOF backing.


Did I tell you how much I love this quilt?

For all the step by steps of how I make this quilt.



If you sew, please share you quilt with me!


Linking up today with all the beautiful quiltiness
@

Fresh Poppy Design



:) 

4 comments:

Jacqueline said...

See cute and THANKS for all the great info.

Carol said...

Striking quilt, Pat! Stay inside now as the temps are plummeting now.

Julianne said...

Love your quilt....did you use fusible batting?

Renee said...

Pat, I always love your work. I absolutely love snowmen. This quilt is amazing! Love, love, love it. My To Do List is huge, but I may have to find some time to make this. (If I do, I'll be sure to email you a picture.) Thank you for sharing your instructions.