Friday, June 22, 2018

FQS Snowballs Quilt Along ~ Night Hike


My Night Hike Fat Quarter Snowballs Quilt!



Started with this wonderful  Night Hike by Heather Givans for Windhan Fabrics
Fat Quarter Bundle
and background fabric, binding fabric and backing.


The Fat Quarter Bundle came presorted into lights and darks,
making the fabric requirements for this quilt even easier.

The  pattern called for six light and six dark fat quarters,
but I wanted to use more of these fabrics,
so my top looks scrappier than most.

I love scrappy quilts!


Here is my completed top

I chose Kona Spruce for my background
,
which was a perfect match for the darkest green background in the fabric line.

To make your own version of this quilt, use the


Fat Quarter Shop Snowballs Quilt Kit

or choose your own fabrics.

Video Tutorial and pattern and other versions of this quilt may be found
on the Quilt Along page at


The Jolly Jabber


Free Shortcut Quilt Pattern from the FQS Here

Here are a few more photos of the making of my quilt.


As my regular readers know, I always like to "cut corners"
when piecing blocks like these Snowball blocks.

I do not draw lines.  I cut my 1/4 inch seam before I sew.


I soon had all the snowball blocks to make my quilt.


I did the same for the Diamond blocks,
cutting the corners with my Mini Folded Corners Ruler
starting on one corner and working my way clockwise around.


When it came time to quilt my quilt,
this motif on the fabric gave me an idea.


I cute freezer paper templates for the compass points.


Then I made a compass circle using a large platter as a quilting template.


Then I continued making circles outward to the edge on my quilt.


Here is a close up of my quilted compass.


I used  Aurifil  Spruce for my quilting thread
which perfectly matched the background greem fabric.

I used my favorite binding technique,
Two Fabric Flanged Machine Binding


Here is my backing and finished binding.


I love my new Night Hike Quilt.

It is a good size for a lap quilt for a cool summer evening.




Thank you to the wonderful people at the 
Fat Quarter Shop
for another wonderful Quilt Along! 



Happy Summer! 

5 comments:

quiltingbydawn said...

Great idea o use a dark green background. I tend to use light colors for my backgrounds but also love the look when the background color is different.

Needled Mom said...

That is lovely with the dark background. The quilting is also so pretty.

Lady Jane said...

Very nicely done. Thanks for the two flange tute, I saved it to my favs. hugs, lj

Dorian said...

Great quilt Pat! I love the background color you chose, and your quilting design is perfect.

Susan said...

That's a great quilt, and your quilting is wonderful for it. Thanks for sharing.