Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Clementine Quiltalong ~ July ~Finishing Month!


It's July!

Time to finish my Clementine Quilt! 

um ... I wish

Finishing instructions are available today on




For all you  you need to know to sew along go to the



The Clementine Quilt Along benefits the
to help advance cures and means of prevention for catastrophic pediatric diseases. 
Fat Quarter Shop is happy to be partnering with Moda Fabrics to match up to $20,000 of donations for this awesome cause. 
Their Clementine Quilt will be auctioned our Clementine Quilt Along quilt at the end of the program, and 100% of the auction proceeds will go to our St. Jude campaign. 

So please DONATE today!


These are the fabrics I planned to use for the setting and finish for my
scrappy red and white quilt.

These fabrics are from my stash of


I decided I really wanted to use the red hearts on white background for my
setting triangles and border.

As this is from my stash I only had what I had,
I was cutting it close to having enough anyway ...

... and ...

late at night when I was trying to get my top finished before I went away for a few days,
I made a dreadful cutting error on the squares needed to set the smaller blocks.

"Measure Twice, Cut Once"

Well, I thought I had but this time I needed to check the cutting instructions better.


I determined I really, really wanted this fabric
for the setting triangles and the borders.

Problem is that this Nordic Stitches print seemed to be sold out everywhere.

After an intensive search online I got lucky and found  
more than enough in an etsy shop. 
So I have ordered more fabric and I am on hold until it arrives
and I get back home to sew after vacation.


In the morning, things looked brighter and I was able o salvage enough of the fabric 
I had to set one of the blocks for my post this month.

I followed the instructions carefully this time.


I am happy I invested in the 20.5"  ruler recommended for 
squaring these blocks.
I squared the block twice.
First time is shown here when I squared and trimmed the white block border fabric.


Second time was after I sewed and flipped the corner triangles.



Did I need this ruler?


Yes.

My largest square ruler is this old 12.5" one that I bought for $10 over 10 years ago.
It is getting very worn and hard to read.
I would have had to use my 24.5 inch cutting ruler and my cutting mat 
to try to square this block.
It would not have been easy.

With my poor vision issues, I need all the help I can get.
Better rulers mean better quilts.
I put a lot of time and effort and fabric into making them.
I need quality rulers to make them. 


Looking forward to finishing my red and white Clementine Quilt soon!



This is the setting for this quilt.

The red hearts on white will appear where the light blue on white print shows in this diagram.

I really love this pattern.




Sew much sew, that I am going to start the kit version of this quilt ...

Clementine Quilt Kit


Here are the kit fabrics!

Aren't they yummy?

Looking forward to sewing with these beauties from August to December 

right after I finish with my 



It is going well and I shall be ready to move back in.

When I get home.

In the meantime, I will be away from my sewing machine on vacation

Happy Summer!  


2 comments:

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

Love the red choices for your quilt. Looking forward to seeing it all together.

KaHolly said...

I can’t wait to see it finished!