Thursday, April 21, 2011

Last Round Robin Border

My last Round Robin border for 2010 is at last done and the top has arrived home!

The amazing group of quilters I was in on the Q&N were so good to work with and I think each unique quilt top we produced looked like they could have come from the an actual continuous medallion quilt pattern.

This quilt top was all 18th Centry Repros and it is very striking. Since my border was last, I wanted to add just the right finishing touch. I auditioned three borders and decided on this one, which is a Log Cabin Spiral. The instructions can be found in
The Border Workbook by Janet Kime.




I liked the traditional look of the log cabin with the interesting spiral twist. There were a lot of stars and points in this quilt top and I wanted something that picked up the round shape in one of the medallion fabrics. Two of the fabrics I found were in the center medallion and the background was used so effectively in a previous border that when I saw it I knew that was just the one I wanted to use. The narrow outside border is a different deep blue repro from the Gettysburg collection.

As usual, Mina was my constant quilty companion. Here she is helping me cut t
he background fabric ....






and here she is supervising my piecing ...



... and a photo of the finished top ... isn't it gorgeous?



I want one just like it ... but, of course, that is not possible. Each of these Round Robin beauties is a one-of-a-kind work of art and that is part of what makes them such a treasure!



Happy Quilting!

:) Pat


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat,
Snoodles here, from Lilypadquilting! Thanks for stopping by, and good luck on the giveaway! Your comment had "noreplyblogger" on it, so I'm replying to you on your blog, instead of by email.
Thanks again,
Jacque
(Snoodles at Lilypadquilting)

Rebecca P said...

Pat, love the border you put on that RR. It really adds.
You sure have a nice big cutting table, lucky you.
Don't you just love how our fury babies like to to help us sew? yours looks quite content.
Rebecca

Scrapatches said...

Thanks, Jacque :)

Rebecca ... I would probably get a lot done faster without having to wait for my furry helpers to give up the fabric, but I would miss their company too much. ;)

BTW, for some strange reason I cannot read your blog. This makes me sad. I can see that you have posted but when I try to open your page, I only see the pretty new background. I have no idea why this is happening or how to fix it. It does not seem to be happening on any other blogs I visit ... ????? Pat

Northern Deb said...

Pat that's the PERFECT ending for that quilt. It's really, really nice. :)

Scrapatches said...

Thanks, Deb. I really enjoyed the challenge of finding the traditional fabrics and pattern and working on this RR. I was so pleased with how my border looked on the quilt with all the other wonderful borders. Looking forward to Sherry's getting home, too ... maybe today ... should go check the forum and see if she has received her surprise package ... :) Pat

Delia Moran said...

Okay, how did I miss this?! That border is gorgeous, Pat. So perfect. (I want one just like it, too.)