Monday, October 8, 2018

Got To Love Apple Season in New England!


Hot Apple Crisp for dessert tonight!

Apple anything is my hubby's dessert of choice,
but this deep dish crumb topped crisp is his favorite ... 


... with a big dollop of whipped cream on the top. 

Our favorite baking apples are Cortlands from our favorite orchard,


This is a very easy recipe.

My hubby does not like raisins or oatmeal of nuts in his crisp.

Just lots of apples and cinnamon with a crunchy crumb crust.

It is essentially a deep dish apple crumb pie without the bottom crust.


My Apple Crisp Recipe

(makes a deep dish pie or 2 quart casserole dish) 
Set oven to 375 degrees F
Butter dish.

Make topping:

1 cup flour
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 stock butter, softened

Mix dry ingredients together
and then work in soft butter with your fingers to
form small crumbs.

Set aside.

Make Filling: 

10-12 large firm apples cut into small wedges
juice of 1 medium lemon
3/4 -1 cup white sugar (to taste)
1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix together and pour into dish.
Pack down apples.

Cover with crumb mixture,
packing down lightly.

Bake 45-60 minutes or until apples are easily pierced by small knife in center.

Cover top of crisp loosely with a sheet of foil to prevent too much browning 
for the few minutes of baking.

Crisp is done when it starts bubbling at the sides and apples are soft.
Top should be light golden brown and crunchy.

Serve hot with ice cream or whipped cream.


Enjoy! 

4 comments:

Bernie Kringel said...

Pat, that looks delicious! I am not a fan of nut or raisins in a crisp either. I have been making applesauce lately - my mom's tree had loads of apples this year. Yum!

Scrapatches said...

I make apple filling with extra apples and store it when I have extra apples. Then I have a ready supply of filling for crisp and pies and hand pies and apple bars and puffs and cake and other homemade apple treats.. I make it in a pot on the stove, similar to apple sauce, but I leave the apples in chunks. Yummy ... :-) Pat

Susan said...

Oh, that does look so yummy! It's apple season here, too, and we have a grower about an hour away who has multiple varieties in the vast orchards. I got Honey Crisp last time, while my friend bough Gala to make applesauce and apples for pies and crisps. I'm waiting for the November apples, though ... Cameos!

Needled Mom said...

I LOVE apple crisp. That looks delicious.