Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Spider Web Quitalong ~ Part 1 ~ Materials and Getting Started



 
Spider Web Quilt-Along
 
No tricks ... 
(except the quilty "tricks and tips" kind)
... just treats!
 
Thanks to all who have posted kind comments and an interest in sewing my
 
Spider Web Table Quilt
that was featured in my "Wicked" Blog Hop post
 
I have had so much interest that I have decided to share a more detailed tutorial by holding this mini-quiltalong!
 
I will be adding posts on each step in the next few days, with the plan to have the entire project tutorial up by Sunday evening.
 
This is the first time I have ever held a quilt along on my blog so this will be a learn as I go experience for me as well as for those who are sewing.
If you have any questions, please feel free to post in comments or email me as we sew along.
 
Materials Needed:

80 2.5 inch squares (two mini-charm packs, a charm pack, strips, FQs or yardage ... or just use up scraps!)

1/2  - 2/3  yard of black (for web sashing and border and binding)

2 inch black circle for the center applique

30" square of backing fabric and batting


45 degree ruler (such as a Kaleido Ruler
 (if you do not have one, you could try using a straight ruler
and the 45 degree lines on your cutting mat)


  (if you do not have one, you could try using a small plate
or other circle cutter)

Fabric Selection:

For your fabric squares, use a mix of lights to darks, small to medium prints.  I used three to four mini charms of each fabric but you could cut from 5-6 fat quarters or 2.5" strips if you wanted a less scrappy quilt.

 
Lay your 2.5" squares out in 8 groups of 10 squares as in rows as shown:
 
Row 1 : 1 square
Row 2 : 2 squares
Row 3 : 3 squares
Row 4 : 4 squares


Sew each section together by chain piecing the squares into the rows


and sewing the rows together to form 8 pyramids
 
 
I used my seam roller to press the seams open as I went along, then pressed all the pyramids with my iron before trimming.
 
 
Trim each pyramid into a triangle by aligning your 45 degree ruler in the center of the 1st row and making sure the 4th row is straight along a line on your ruler.
 
 
This is the what your trimmed sections will look like in your layout.
Move your scrappy triangles around until you have
the arrangement you want for your web,
 
Here are the links to the other installments:
 
 
 
 
 
Have fun sewing!
 
:)
 
 

6 comments:

Audrey said...

Thank you. Now to go upstairs and find some 2 1/2" squares.

Dorian said...

How fun! Your tute is looking good Ms Pat. Thank you for the quilt along.

Calicojoan said...

I am sew delighted to see your giving us the tutorial on doing this. A big thanks from me! :-)

Nancy M. said...

company coming so cleaning house is a must but i am coming back to use your tutorial to make one of these. thanks for the turorial so i can.

Marcy said...

Wow. Thanks for doing this for us. It's an amazing holiday treat. Will have to run out for Halloween fabric--after it's reduced in price. Then I'll be all decked out next year.

Suze said...

Pat, Thanks for the more detailed tutorial. I really appreciate it. I don't have much Halloween fabric. I just bought a couple of 1/2 yards on 1/2 price sale and 1/4 coordinating solids to make some mug rug type things. I have lots of polka dots so I think I'll give this a try and use some of my polka dots with them. I just adore this. Maybe I'll make one for my daughter and her family next year. You never know, maybe my son will get one, too. He decorates his place for Halloween, too. Again, many thanks for tutorial and livening up the hop.