Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Getting Ready for the "In Our Garden" BOM Blog Hop



I can hardly wait for the first blocks to be posted by


on February 1st!


Amy has been very busy behind the scenes organizing this 

Block of the Month Blog Hop 

and she has lined up some wonderful sponsors including ... 


















You do not want to miss a month on this blog hop!

To keep up with the breaking news,   


and join our public 



I am planning thinking about my blocks, which will be posted here on my blog in September 
and I have also been getting ready to sew all the blocks.


Each month there will two blocks for us all to sew.

You may choose to make one or two blocks a month.

If you choose to make all the blocks you will have 24 blocks at the end of the hop.

I have had several questions about fabric requirements and have worked up these suggestions:

This project is ideal for using up stash and scrap fabrics to make a scrappy quilt.

Find some fabrics in your stash that say "garden" to you,
small to medium prints, tone-on-tone, solids, checks, dots, calicos,
30's repros would all be good choices.

You will need about 24 Fat Quarters for the details blocks.

You may want to use more or less.  

You will want some each of light, medium and dark tones for contrast. 

In addition to this you will need to choose a background fabric. 

You may choose to make a scrappy background or a single background fabric or 
one or more colors.

Here are some possibilities ...
(All of these are based on  making all 24 blocks.)


For a single color background my EQ recommends about 3.5 yards of fabric.

If you are making a "scrappy as you go" background,
choose scrap pieces that will total about 4 yards of neutrals.

Your background may be light or dark, but remember if you are choosing a dark background, 
you should choose lighter contrasting fat quarters for the block details.


For a two fabric background, you
may need 2 yards of each fabric.


For a more varied background using four different fabrics,
you may need 1.5 yards of each fabric.

All of these amounts are suggestions only.

I have not sewn a block yet so I am estimating all amounts.

I hope some of you may find this helpful.

Always follow your own best judgement when making fabric decisions on your quilt.

I will be posting my fabric choices in February.

I can't wait to start sewing!

Hope to see you sewing along ... :)




No comments: