Thursday, January 26, 2023

I Like Thursday # 152 ~ Colors of My Life

 

In keeping with today's theme for 

I Like Thursday @ Not Afraid of Color 

my post will be all about colors.

The main colors in the fabrics above, yellow, gray, white and black, were chosen by our niece, Naomi, for her baby girl's nursery.  Her theme is "baby bee." I love yellow and gray together, so this will be a fun quilt to make.  

My first grandniece was born two weeks ago.

Her name is Isabella Grace and her nickname is Izzy Bee.

I have seen only photos, as her little family lives in Texas, but Baby Izzy Bee is adorable and has a full head of black hair. I hope to have her quilt made soon.

I am still choosing a pattern but have narrowed it down to two ideas.


It took me some time to find baby bee fabric. 

I ordered the 9" panels from  I Need Fabric

and it took some weeks to receive it and by the time it arrived, it was December and I had no time over the holidays to sew and get the quilt to the baby before she was born.  They have interesting panels, but I am not sure I will order from them again.  Besides the time it takes to print and send, the fabric quality is thinner than my quilting cotton.  In the photo the panels are laid on white batting to show the colors. I will have to use fusible fleece on the backs before I sew them into my quilt in order to stabilize the stretchy fabric.  So these panels are suitable for a "t-shirt" type quilt setting and process.  I did order a yard of coordinating fabric which is not shown.  This fabric is also thin and the colors are a bit muted.  I am not sure if I am going to use it in a quilt.

I like bright colors.


I had no bee fabrics suitable for a baby quilt in my stash so I looked for baby bee fabrics online and did not find much.  Then I found just what I needed in December in my local quit shop. The fabrics in front of the panels are an older fabric line by

Susy Bee by Clothworks

I really like how they brighten the panels.


These fabrics have been quilty kitty approved by Nutmeg. 

The prompt for the day asked our favorite color. 

I love all colors but if I can only choose one ...

my favorite color is yellow.

My favorite color combo is yellow, green and blue.


I made My Favorite Bed Quilt  in these colors in 2011 

when the walls of my bedroom were yellow.  


We painted the walls gray last year.  

I love this light gray.  

The color changes with the quality of light and is never tiring.

I would be happy to paint all my walls this color.  Maybe I will.

My yellow/blue/green quilt looks lovely in this room and is still my favorite but the fabrics are wearing out and it needs repair. It is folded in a corner of my room, treasured and loved ... and occasionally napped on by my kitties.

Meet Cassian.

Our new cat is this smokey gray tabby.  Yes, I was watching the Disney+ series, when I named him. A handsome tomcat, he lived in the shadows and started coming to our door for food late last summer.  He was free-roaming, charming when he wanted to be, always looking for what he could get and played Romeo under the windows, meowing at our girls.  Then he would disappear for days and we would fret about him.
Although feral, he started accepting our offers to give him treats and pats. Efforts to find who might be missing him went unanswered and he had no microchip. When the weather started turning colder, we started making plans to take him in. We did not trap him. He chose to come in out of the cold and into our kitchen.  First off, he had to go to the vet to be neutered and get a clean bill of health in order to be share our home with our spayed girl kitties. After a few weeks of quarantine in a large cage in our living room, he was cleared to mingle and make friends. After a few meds, he still does not have a perfectly clean health record.  Cassian is FIV positive which means his immune system is compromised and this is not treatable. It is not something humans can catch. Although it is not passed to other cats through casual contact or shared food dishes, it could be passed to our other cats by deep bite wounds.  Normally a cat who is FIV positive is recommended to live in a one cat home.  We briefly considered placing him in a no-kill shelter, but decided we did not take him in and to live in a cage waiting for someone to rescue him, however well he would be cared for. 
Cassian had found a place in our hearts and home. The vet estimates his age to be over a year but under a year and a half. Apparently he had a hard life on the streets.  Fortunately, he is a very peaceful and friendly guy and shows no signs of aggression.  He just wants to be part of the family. 

And so he is! 


Cassian is living the good life as an indoor cat. 

For more of his story, you may follow on my 

Here on my TikTok

I like the kitties and crochet and places and colors of TikTok and have learned to manage it carefully so I do not see what I do not want to see.

May your life be colorful and happy and full of love.




3 comments:

LA Paylor said...

the new cat is so handsome!!! and I love yellow! I had yellow sheets and quilts at college. I can't wear it easily though I like it. your quilt is gonna be so sweet!
LeeAnna

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Purrrrr, sweet Cassion. He knows a good human when he sees one. Congrats on your new Granddaughter! The yellow print definitely matches her happy name.

Angie said...

Pat - I am joining you from I Like Thursday! The contrast of the yellow and gray, together with the adorable bees, will make a gorgeous quilt! How generous of you to make a forever home for Cassian. I enjoyed seeing your kitties in many of your photos!