Monday, August 6, 2012

Custom Curtains 101.1


I have the valance sewn and hung. It covers the top of three windows.  I did this in one continuous piece, which looks nice as there are no gaps or breaks in the line between the windows, but it made for several very loooooooooong seams and was awkward to handle and press.  Looks nice and hubby is happy with the results sew far.

A few how-to photos for those who might be interested.

Planning how to best place the fabrics ...


carefully cutting the border print into long strips ...


cutting on the black between the stripes resulted in 10" wide strips ...


I cut the black for the top rod pocket into 9" wide strips ...

the yellow strips for the bottom and hem were 4 " wide

layout the pieces ...

ready to sew ...

I carefully alighned the narrow stipes in the border print and pinne dand removed the pins as I sewed these into one long strip ...


after the sewing the black at the top and yellow on the bottom, I pressed ...

the finished valance!

:-)
On to the cafes which will be pieced in the same fabrics.  There will be six panels for this so it should be much easier to handle.
 "Fireflies" by Faith Hill and my "Country Women" playlist is playing ...

" ... I believe in fairy tales and dreamers dreams of bed sheet sails and  I believe in peter pan and miracles anything I can to get me by ..."

Time to sew!
Have a Happy Quilty Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a kind word! :-)