Monday, December 3, 2018

Fat Eight Fruitcake Quiltalong


At last I can show you this quilt!
This quiltalong has been delayed due to kit fabric shipments
but it is well worth the wait.

Here is my
Blueberry Fat 8th Fruitcake 
quilt top blowing in one of the last breezes of summer!

This quilt is featured today here on


The next day the wind turned much colder and the temperature dropped.
Now it is winter,
Looking at this quilt makes me warmer and brings back the bright days of summer.

I have been calling this bright and colorful quilt my
"Last Quilt of Summer for 2018"
and it appears to be a good choice of name.

It was also a good choice of fabrics! 

Making my Fat Eighth Fruitcake Quilt

with these lovely 





Fat Eighth Bundles  
was a breeze! 


The first Fat 8th bundle was in

which was in one of my first boxes 
when I subscribed last year.

I love receiving these surprise boxes,
especially the fabric and pattern,
even when I do not have time to sew it right away.

When I was invited to sew this new shortcut quilt,
my mind went right to an image of this colorful Fat 8th Bundle.
I needed more Fat 8ths and  ... 
Blueberry Park Fat 8th Bundle

I was sew happy when I saw that there were bundles still available
and they were on sale!   Win=Win! 
Add some 
Blueberry Park White Plus
yardage for background and I was ready to sew! 


Here is the free pattern ...

 Click on the link to see the kit is beautiful traditional fabrics ...





Fat Quarter Shop


I really enjoyed sewing this pattern.


The pattern was a breeze to make with chain piecing, 
which is my favorite piecing technique,
and the thirty blocks went together very quickly. 

There was very little waste with this quilt,
just a couple of extra fat eights.


This is the first quilt where I have pressed all the seams open
on the blocks and rows.
I am liking the nice flat quilt top this made.

Although matching the seams was a little more challenging,
I will press more seams open in the future. 


The pattern looked fabulous in these fabrics!


My quilting inspiration was the "strand" design in the fabric prints,
so I did straight line stitching with my heavy duty walking foot.


My quilty kitty has been very helpful with this process.
Maestro is starting to think every quilt is hers.

For my backing fabric I chose this sunny


Blueberry Park Sunkissed Daisy Yardage
which is also on sale! 


I hope you are enjoying this look back to 
the last blooms of summer.

May you will soon be sewing your own version of
this fun Fat 8th Fruitcake Quilt! 

Hope to see you quilting along!


* Note: I am an blogging affiliate of the FQS and I receive a small percentage
of the total sale for purchases made via the share-a-sale links on my blog.
Thanks to all who shop these links and help my quilting and blogging efforts. 

2 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh I love your quilt. I have been hoarding the blueberry park, in every colorway I could get my hands on. I occasionally pull out a fat quarter to use.

Farm Quilter said...

Pretty quilt in oh-so-summery colors!! I miss the 90-100 degree heat!!!