Thursday, November 5, 2020

I Like Thursday # 72 ~ Late Fall



Good Morning from my sunny living room!

Happy Thursday to the




I have tucked away my Halloween quilts and brought out my fall quilts.

This maple leaf one is old and shabby.

It is my first attempt at this block pattern and was made many years ago
when Mr Scrapatch was working as a consultant in Vermont and
we rented a motel room with a tiny kitchenette during the week and went home 
every weekend.  Our children were all young adults,
busy at college and starting their new jobs.
I packed and carried my new portable sewing machine in its box back and forth 
and set it up on the tiny two-person dining table during the day
so I would have something to do during the day when he was at work.

The fabrics in the maple leaf quilt are all from Walmart and Joann Fabrics
and are such a overwhelming color choice that I do not know what I was thinking.
It was a "learning" quilt.
I quilted it without the help a walking foot
 because I did not know what that was 
or that I had one in the bottom of the box.

The layout I devised after I found many of my blocks were odd sizes.
I matched up the ones that fit together in the center,
added borders and put four that were too large as cornerstones,
although I did not know what cornerstone blocks were at the time. 


I still love this quilt and all its flaws and shabbiness.

My new fall pillow covers are the same intense colors, 
although much better made.


I also set out my Fabric Pumpkin and "Oh, My Gourd!" Quilt.


It has been cold here this week, although today we are on a warming trend,
so I have made soup a few times.

This is adapted from
I left out the chicken broth and added water.
Mmmmmmm  ...tasty!


My song for the day comes from this pandemic duo,

Mat and Savanna Shaw

who started with this

Daddy Daughter Duet: "The Prayer"

to help people through these difficult times.

I cannot tell you how many times I have listened to this in the last few months.

It always heals me.

 Now they are a number one billboard act:

#1 Billboard Emerging Artist

#1 Billboard Classic Crossover Album 

Bravo! 

The maple leaves are all gone from the trees.
It is late fall outside my back door,
though the sun is shining and it is warm enough to open my south facing windows.

May you and yours have a Happy Thursday! 


7 comments:

Roseanne said...

Hi Pat! I think your couch looks SO inviting and welcoming with the quilt and pillows on it. That coupled with the beautiful window covering - I would adore visiting you. The soup looks yummy! And that's all I can remember that I wanted to comment on because your comments open over the post, darn it. I hope you, DH, and the kitties are doing well and staying safe. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

PaintedThread said...

My first quilt also had all Walmart and JoAnns fabrics. :-) And I still love it, too. How nice to have pulled out all your fall quilts. Your soup looks delicious!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Love your quilt and what a great story. Your soup looks awesome, I still have leaves on my maple trees, cottonwoods are bare as well as my shag bark hickory. Love your fabric pumpkin and your OH My Gourd is awesome too.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a lovely post! I loved reading your commentary on your maple leaf quilt as it echos so much of what I have done in my journey. Trying to make a quilt and not knowing what should or could be done. It has been a learning experience, that's for sure. But I love your bright and shining maple leaves. Potato soup is a favourite here and the more cheese added the better Tony likes it. Thanks. Hope your day is wonderful.

LA Paylor said...

I felt such an affinity to this. We lived in Chicago area for a month one summer, I took my machine and a big bag of scraps but sewed very little actually. I know about learning as you go. I was trying to remember who first told me, back in the 80's to get a walking foot...it made a huge difference! Your quilts are so pretty, and have history and meaning. Soup sounds great right now, the trees here are just about bare too. We had snow in Sept, then heat! snow, then heat this past week. I had changed the closets so I have been hot.

Susan said...

I like your Fall decor. Thanks for introducing me to the Daddy Daughter Duet.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Potato soup has always been my fav, from little on! Yours looks yummy!