Saturday, March 30, 2013

In My Cookie Jar


Wheaties Cookies - 4 Ways
This is a favorite cookie of mine.  I love them with the coconut in them. There are those in my family who do not share my love of coconut ... or of the fruit and nuts that I like to add for flavor and texture to my cookies. So I have adapted many recipes to make them different ways.  So my cookie jar is usually filled with many delicious choices. 
Here is what is in my cookie jar for Easter:
Wheaties Cookies – 4 Ways 
 
½  c. shortening
½ c.  margarine
1 c. packed brown sugar
¾ c. white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 tbls. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. crushed Wheaties cereal
2 c. quick oatmeal
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Cream shortening and margarine and sugars.  Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.  Stir in flour, baking powder and soda.  Stir in crushed Wheaties and oatmeal.  
For plain cookies:  Bake 12-14 minutes until set but not brown.  Tops should look dry and a bit crinkled.  Do not overbake.  Remove from oven and set to cool on pans from ten minutes.  Remove from pans and finish cooling. Cookies should be chewy with a bit of crunch from the wheat cereal when cool.

For 4-Ways
Divide batter into fourths, if desired for add-ins:
#1: Leave one fourth plain and bake as above.
#2:  Add 1 cup of white chocolate chips and bake as above.
#3:  Add ½ cup white chocolate chips, ½ cup chopped walnuts, ½ cup dried cranberries.  Bake as above.
#4:  Add 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut and 1 tbsp soft margarine and blend well.  Bake as above.
Other add-in options:  semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips, chopped almonds, raisins, chopped dates
Enjoy!
 
 

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Yummy! I will have to figure out the weight watcher points! I love coconut!

Annette Moller said...

They look so yummy! Can't wait to try them. Thank you!!!