Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Appli-Play ~ Improv Applique My Way


Appli-Play!

My happy place embrace of free style improv applique. 

For many years I posted about my avoidance of all things applique,

because I said it made me feel all thumbs. 

I stuck to piecing at all costs and even found some creative ways, like curved piecing,

to give the illusion of applique without actually doing it.

My personal machine applique freeze began to thaw when I made

This Quilt 

when I signed up to step out into the applique cold and find a way to warm myself up a little.

This year I finally felt confidant enough to come in from the cold and post a

Beginner's Machine Applique Tutorials Here

Now I actually find it fun to play with Applique!

When I felt my choice of fabrics for my 

 Blazing Star Block from Fat Quarter Shop

  had made my block a little too lackluster and it needed a little fireworks,

the idea of "Appli-Play" took flight.

I decided to make my star blaze outward with flares and flowers. 

First, I cut my thoughts on paper.

Then when rough cutting these paper ideas from my fabrics,
the pretty flower sprays jumped out at me ... 

 
I realized I just had to look at the fabric
to find my perfect applique shapes. 
What Fun!


I simply cut and pressed.
I did not apply an iron on fusible.


I applied a small amount of glue from my 
to hold my applique pieces in place while I stitched them to my block. 


I placed a square of batting under my block when I machine appliqued.


After completing the applique stitches, 
I finished the quilting on my pillow front panel. 


This is the back of my appliqued and quilted front panel.


I love the way my free style applique makes my Blazing Star Block
like it is blazing outward! 
 
I am looking forward to adding more appli-play fun to my quilt blocks in the future.

I hope you find this easy applique method helpful and fun.

I am enjoying posting this summery looking project 
and the photos taken during the warm autumn months. 
It is so cold and and our yard is frozen under a layer of snow.
I am warm and snug inside today.

Happy Appli-Play!

1 comment: