Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Making Masks ~ Wintertime!



My little bear is modeling my newest face mask.

This one was made for Mr Scrapatch as he asked for some new ones

as his are wearing out with daily use.


For this one I used a new type of flexible nose wire bar
from Gypsy Quilter.


which makes a nice flat fit. 
I also bought these at Fat Quarter Shop but they appear to be out of stock.
I searched and there are some on Amazon and some by other manufacturers, too.
I am hoping they wash and wear well.


The other materials that I have used before in

My Tutorial for Mask with a Nose Wire Pocket

There are shopping links in the above post.

The new snowman mask started with this

 Safety First panel,  available at many quilt shops.

I bought mine Here @ Fat Quarter Shop

I added blue strips to make it larger for our plus size faces.


Here are the materials for another mask:

one cut panel section, one jelly roll strip, backing fabric,

filter batting, four elastic ties, one nose bar. 

I sewed the jelly roll to the sides and then top and bottom of the panel

and saved the last piece of the jelly roll for the neck elastics.

I folded and pressed the top jelly roll strip to make the nose bar pocket.

The nose bar has an adhesive side and I peeled the paper

 and pressed it to the back of the pocket

to hold it in in place while I sewed.


I top-stitched stay stitches on either side of the centered nosebar to keep it in place. 


This is my favorite mask method now.

It is easier and fits very well.

My mask making skills have grown and adapted as the need for them has continued.

The winter ones have the bonus of keeping our faces warm here in the cold 

and soon to be snowing northeast. 


May you are yours be safe and healthy this winter.


1 comment:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You got a lot of cutting done there in your last post. Thanks for sharing more mask making tips. These are super cute.