Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Stitch Sew & Show ~ 2022 ~ Week 23

 


Welcome to Stitch Sew  Show ~ 2022 ~ Week 22


I have been taking three steps forward and three steps back

 and exploring the importance of gauge in crochet this week. 

This was the three steps forward and I was working on Stripe 15 in my

Christmas Candy Stripe Sampler Afghan

This does not look bad from the distance, in part because I did not show the sides of my afghan, which had taken on a large curve in the multicolored row strips at the top.  When I laid it out and measured, my Stripe 14 was 4" high when it should have been 3" high according to the pattern.  My stiches were too loose. The green stripe below it was pulled in at the sides, indicating my stitches there were too tight.


I corrected this by pulling out Stripes 14 and 13 and changed hooks.

Most of this afghan has been done with the green I Hook (5.5mm) on the bottom.

I used a larger hook (6.0mm) for the light green Linen Stitch Stripe. I am usually inclined to stitch this pattern, also called the Moss Stitch, tightly.

The multicolored lace pattern is new to me and called the Larksfoot Stitch in the pattern.  I really needed the video instructions for this stitch.  It calls for placing the elongated stitch across two rows and needs to be done loose enough for it to lay flat.  I made it too loose the first time around, so I used a smaller (5.0mm) hook to get the correct size.

This is my progress in the redo so far, showing the side of my work.

You can see the rows now look even on the side edge.

Now it is time to redo the white row and I am putting this aside.

The first time around I used the creamy Snow White skein that I pulled out once before.  Even at a distance from the previous white strips, it looks dull and off-white.  I am waiting for a new skein of Snow White to arrive and hoping the dye lot will be a better match. 


What are you working on this week?


Please share! 


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

1 comment:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

If it makes you feel any better, I've been doing more unsewing than I would like lately too. I need to pay closer attention when machine stitching is my hint. Meanwhile, how pretty these rows are turning out and lessons learned re gauge. I had two false starts on that crocheted Yuletide blanket figuring out which hook worked best. I'm really enjoying these crocheting posts, Pat.