Thursday, August 4, 2022

I Like Thursday # 148 ~ Summer Screening

 


Welcome to I Like Thursday # 148 ~ 

Summer Sun Screening Style

The prompt for this week was to share some of what we do to 

provide protection from the hot summer sun's burning rays.

First of all:  I find the shady places.

This is the new cement landing step in mid afternoon.

This spot is at the bottom of our new back steps in progress. 

I always wear a hat with a wide brim to protect my head and screen my eyes, which are very light sensitive.  This is my favorite summer hat.  It light and white and has a zip-out top so I can also wear it as a visor.  It also has and opening in the back with a bow for my pony tail hair. I have no idea where or when I bought this hat as I have had it for years. 

I just bought my hubby and new work cap for summer.  This one is new tech and has web sides and a sun reflective fabric on the top and brim. He really likes this hat.  It also has cooling fabric inside that you can dampen with cold water that will supposedly help keep you cooler but he has not tried that feature, yet.

I bought this Arctic Hat on Amazon

I am not affiliated in any way with Amazon and the links in this post are for information only.  I receive no commission if you choose to buy.

Staying hydrated is a constant effort in summer.

I am always carrying around a bottle or insulated cup of ice water. 

I also always wear SPF 60 sunscreen on my face, neck and arms

 and anywhere my skin is not covered.

I have sensitive skin issues to many oil based cosmetic ingredients.

I have found Aveeno products usually work best for me.

This one helps keep my skin moist but is not greasy.

You may find Aveeno Sunscreen on Amazon or in your local stores. 


Fortunately we have a lot of big trees around our back yard

 so it is usually much cooler than the front of the house

and is comfortably cool enough to sit outside

when the temperatures are soaring like they have been this week.


Here is one of the places this week that needed sun screen, a hat

 and plenty of sun protection and hydration:  


Last weekend marked the return of our local


Lowell Folk Festival 

which was last held in 2019 in pre-covid days.

The above photo is from their site.  I did not take it. 

I may have been far back in the outskirts of the crowd, though.

This photo was taken at the stage in our Civic Center Plaza

 with Lowell City Hall in the background. 

I am one of the ones wearing a mask, because although I am fully vaccinated and boosted, I am very cautious and feel unsure in large gatherings so we avoided the biggest crowds and did not stay long.  I do love the music and the food and the festive atmosphere.  It was good to see and hear this happening again. 


For more summer fun and sun protection ideas,

visit my all blogging friends for

I Like Thursday @ Not Afraid of Color 

May you have a Happy Thursday! 



4 comments:

PaintedThread said...

I've heard of the Lowell Folk Festival. Looks like a fun time! Stay cool!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

How nice to be at a folk festival again though I hear you about being cautious still. I always wear a hat outside in summer and am always slathering on the sunscreen. I have vitiligo so am aware of sensitive skin issues.

LA Paylor said...

Ooooo love a folk festival and best to wear a mask. The new variant doesn't respond to vax's
I want the white hat too. Love hats for sun protection. I like all the ways you talked about including shade and water. Your window/deck flower box is so lush!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for the sunscreen recommendation! I didn't see that one at my store when I was looking at the options. Off to check it out on Google...