Monday, April 17, 2023

Crochet Collage Garden ~ Pillow Cover Plan ~ 1st Stitches


Today I took the first stitches in turning my first

 Crochet Collage ~ Pillow Cover Plan

into reality. 

It is a gray and rainy day here today so my photos are shadowed.


I am using my old 12.5" square Quilters Ruler

and actually have the pices laid out on the back which has raised grips

that hold them in place while I am working.


I cut the fabric and a piece of Fusible Fleece into 19" squares

so that I have a wide border and plenty of fabric to make a pillow cover.

I am thinking I will add some large stitch quilting lines of sashiko threads 

around the outside of the center collage to frame it. 

I like to press fusible fleece to the back of appliqued pillow tops

 for a firm, smooth top surface.

I decided to start with the three large leaves on the bottom center.


My thread of choice is from these two Frosted Donuts of Superior Thread

pre-wound bobbins.  I never use these as actual bobbins.

I like to use them for applique, English Paper Piecing 

and sometimes binding threads.


My first leaf is appliqued.


This is back showing my messy stitching.

The top looks good, though... ;) 


I also made the first flower for my next crochet collage garden project

which I showed yesterday.

My flower does not look quite like the one in the book.

I think I sometimes forget to translate the English Crochet terminology

into USA terminology and make the wrong size crochet,

but I like it and it is a keeper.

I will make another or add applique another leaf or two tonight.


I hope your work week has started 

with a happy day of sewing and stitching!




 

 

2 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm excited to see you start putting the pieces together, love the newest flower. Happy stitching!

Dorian said...

That project is looking good Pat. I'mg glad you're enjoying the crochet. It will make a nice pillow. Have a good day.