Friday, June 12, 2020

Pincushion Parade Paper Piecing


Here is my pincushion for Day 12 of the 




Today's pattern is a foundation paper pieced block from



who has generously made these free for personal use. 


This is Block 10 in Leila's 52 Block Patterns

I love foundation paper piecing for placing fabrics perfectly.

I have learned a few things in my foundation paper piecing journey
so I am sharing what works best for me.


Tip 1:

I like to use foundation paper for printing as I find it is easier to remove
and it does not disturb my stitches. 
This is essentially newsprint paper cut in standard printer size sheets.


Tip 2:

I use a 90/14 needle and set my stitch size smaller to 1.8.
This helps making the paper easier to remove.


Tip 3:

I use my craft light to place my fabric where I want it and I pin to hold it in place.


I do this for every piece.
For a directional fabric I make sure the lines or motif is running in the direction
that I want.

Tip 4:


I use an
Add A Quarter Ruler
to trim my seams after adding each piece,
being very careful to fold back my front so that I do not cut it in error.
I found this ruler last year and it is the best tool ever for this method.

Tip 5:


I press with a dry iron between pieces.
No steam or spray as it will warp the paper.

Tip 6: 



For corners, I fold my fabric where it will be on the stitching line
 and check to make sure my fabric will extend beyond the edges of the paper.

These tips and tricks and tools work for me and
I hope some of my readers may find this helpful.

Everything I know about quilting I have learned from other quilters online
and by trial and error in my own little corner.


For the back of this pincushion, I cut a 6.5" square of pretty fabric.


I added a piece of ribbon and a button to make this pretty pincushion even prettier.

Have a Happy Pincushion Parade Day! 

 #PincushionParadeBlogHop

4 comments:

LJ said...

I'm following the pincushion hop but not sewing along right now. Love your fabrics and colors.

Needled Mom said...

That is so sweet. I love the fussy placement of the flowers.

liferecipes said...

Thanks for your great tips. You explained this so well, I think I finally get it!

Sweepstakes said...


Will you become our next big winner? Win like, Laptop, Car, Cash, Or more. Enter in our free online sweepstakes, Free online Giveaways and Free Online contests, Don't Miss your Chance. Hurry! Sweepstakes-Online

albertsons customer satisfaction survey,

Albertsons Survey,

albertsons survey 100 gift card,

Albertsons Survey Sweepstakes,

Albertsons Sweepstakes,