Thursday, June 4, 2020

Pincushion Parade ~ Day #4 ~ I Like Thursday # 58 ~ I Like Pincushions



Welcome to Day 4 of the 




My Pretty Pinwheel Pincushion was made using this ...



This may also be found ... 



I made my Pinwheel Pincushion using this cute Catalina Mini-Charm Pack
of


I love the colors and designs in this fabric collection!


The hardest part of making this cute pincushion was deciding 
which of these pretty squares to use. 


These were my choices.
12 mini chars or 2.5" squares are needed to make this pincushion.


I used my wood 4 in 1 Tool and 
my Wooden Clapper to hand press the pieces.


The sewing was easy.


Chain piecing made this quick work.


I used my wooden tool for pressing the seams.

Kathy @ Kathy's Kwilts and More
showed us how to make a basic four patch pin cushion on on Day 1.


I did press the seams open in the middle on this one to reduce the bulk.


to set the points and smooth the edges.


For stuffing my pincushion I like to use a combination of poly-fill
I think this gives my pincushion weight with just enough fluff.
I use 2/3 shells and 1/3 polyfil,
adding the shells first using a small funnel.


I hand sewed the opening closed and tufted the center
by putting my needle through from front to back to front again.


I used some pretty buttons I had on hand
in the center of the top pinwheel.


Then I opened a package of... 


to make my pretty pincushion useful. 

I hope you enjoyed my Pinwheel Pincushion how-to today.

Be sure to come back each day to see all the inspiration in the


Thanks to
Crystal @ Daybrook Designs
for organizing this fun blog hop

~~~~~

I am also linking up today with my

I Like Thursday Bloggers @ Not Afraid of Color
where every week we post about what has made us smile,
great and small.

We had an email discussion yesterday about how difficult it is to smile
with the state of our world as it is and did not want to marginalize.
Sometimes the small joys in life can seem trivial.
All we can do, though, even as our hearts are broken
is keep going forward one step, one day, one stitch at a time.


Last night just before sunset, we had a cloudburst.
I went outside as it let up and looked.

I knew if I looked I would find it ... a rainbow.


It was a small one and the end was lost in the storm clouds
and it faded quickly with the setting sun.

I am hopeful.

Deep in my heart, I do believe in goodness and kindness and love
... that humanity will prevail.




17 comments:

DayBrook Designs said...

❤ Great tips. Love the pincushion.

Jacqueline said...

I really like this one. Thanks for sharing all of these with us. Peace for you.

Dorian said...

Yes indeed, Love prevails over all. Such a pretty pincusion :) We had a rainbow out our kitchen window a few nights ago too. It was such a brilliant bit of color in the sky, I rarely see one with the purple so glowing and prominent. Have a lovely day.

Kathy said...

I love your pincushion. Such a fun design. Thanks for sharing.

Roseanne said...

Hi Pat! Beautiful rainbow. And so worthy of looking for in these times. ~smile~ Roseanne

LA Paylor said...

thank you. Yes, that is a reaffirming rainbow of color and beauty. I just love your pin cushion pattern and a 3-d pinwheel. That was a great tutorial on making it. I collect pin cushions so I should check out this hop. I'm glad you could remind us, to feel the pain but keep going on a quest for peace and understanding. Love, LeeAnna

Kathy said...

Thank you for hosting today's project. I enjoyed all the tips on your blog. I can't wait to get sewing.

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

I ran across that same pattern from FQS while searching for pincushion patterns. I just love it! It is easier to make than it looks and turned out so nice. I love the fabrics you picked.

Sandra Walker said...

Wow, what a gorgeous, and poignant rainbow. Your pincushion is adorable, (I may see a squirrel here...) and I especially love the 3D pinwheels, and buttons you used in the tufted centre!

PaintedThread said...

I can just see that rainbow peeking. What a cute pincushion. Thanks for sharing.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Love that fabric. Thanks for sharing the rainbow of hope.

Shannon said...

Your pincushion is so cute! I made a new pincushion a couple of weeks ago for all my quilting safety pins, I love small projects like that. And it makes me happy that you found a rainbow!

wendy said...

Love this pincushion cause pinwheels are my favorite! Thank you!

FrƩdƩrique - Quilting Patchwork AppliquƩ said...

Lovely pincushion!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Cute pincushion. You are so right, we must believe in kindness and goodness.

LJ said...

I love pincushions, too. Yours is so cute - the pinwheel is adorable.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I like the happy colors of your pincushion. It's so full of joy.