Thursday, October 28, 2021

I Like Thursday # 114 ~ Small Things Make Me Smile


Happy Thursday! 

 This is my progress on my 

 October Halloween Stitch Along @ Pine Needles

Click on this link to find the free daily blocks.

I am happy each morning to wake to this colorful stitch project.


Yesterday's "catch-up" block was the 

Block 25 Pattern ~ Giant Sunflower

I nudged the sunflower over a little and added my little Nutmeg kitty to the block.

Nutmeg has a very sunny disposition so it seemed a good place for her to appear in my cross stitch calendar.

I am waiting for today's block while I type.

I have one more daily block pattern to do and a blank space that was created when I combined two blocks.  I am still deciding what to do with that space which is under the haunted house block.

I am really hoping to have this one stitched and finished on Sunday.

On Sunday we will say goodbye to October. 

It has been an uneven month of change.

The foliage colors are not as bright as some years.

Today is another day of cool gray dampness,

although we are hoping the sun may peek through the clouds before the end of day.


My orange nasturtiums are a bright antidote to the gray.

Mr. Scrapatch brought home this tasty treat from Panera Bread

 the other night after work.

There was also Autumn Squash Soup, but that disappeared before I took a photo. 

Today I am having the cookie with my coffee.

Does anyone have a good copycat recipe for their vergetarian Autumn Squash Soup?

I have tried one I found online before but it did not have the same seasoning.

Today is a soup day ... 


... so I made Corn Chowder for lunch.

Corn Chowder

 

¼ cup olive oil

1/3  cup butter

1 cup chopped onion

½ cup chopped celery

1 and 1/2 cups diced potatoes

water to cover potatoes (1-2 cups)

½  cup flour

3 cups milk

1/2 cup vegetable broth

2 cans niblets or summer crisp corn ( 2 cups of fresh or frozen corn may be substituted)

salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons dried parsley

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

(optional) dash of cayenne or paprika (may also be sprinkled on top when serving)


To prepare:


Add oil and melt margarine in pan. Add finely chopped onion and celery and cook until soft on medium heat, stirring constantly.

 

Add diced potatos and water to cover. Cover pan and turn heat to high and cook potato until soft. Turn down to simmer and check frequently so the water does not boil out and burn the veggies.

 

While potato is cooking, put  1 cup of milk and flour and one can of corn in a blender or food processor and puree.

 

Add the blended milk mixture and the other 2 cups of milk, the veggie broth, the other can of corn and the seasonings to the soup and heat on medium stirring occasionally until thick and hot.

 

Makes 6 - 8 servings. Double for a crowd in large crock pot.


It was warm and yummy!

Mr. Scrapatch will have a bowl when he comes home tonight and will probably

be taking this for lunch to work tomorrow. 


Late Addition:  The sun came out!

YAY!!!!

Linking up today with my thankful friends at 


May you have a Happy Thursday! 


6 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love Panera's Squash soup too, it's delicious! Happy stitching!

PaintedThread said...

I love how you modified your cross-stitch block. Love the color on your nasturtiums. I plan to plant some next year. Mmmm. I love Panera soups and cookies!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Pat! Boy, you've gotten far on the October stitching. It is turning out great! Nutmeg looks a little sleepy in the picture you shared. I love that she is sitting on top of some floss!! The maple trees around us are just spectacular! They really do light up the room - today was particularly cloudy yet it was nice to look outside at those trees. The nasturtiums look so pretty - that pop of orange in all of the green. We had those around our pool and I would pick them and add them fresh to salads. Like a mild radish. Yum! Your corn chowder looks really yummy! ~smile~ Roseanne

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your cross stitch is coming along and I love your nutmeg kitty. The nasturtium is lovely. I made a cheddar broccoli soup the other day. This one you caramelize onions so it has a bit of a different flavor, but it was good and I froze the extra.

Linda said...

LOVE your October stitchery - it is looking so pretty. What a beautiful back yard! Thank you for sharing that yummy looking recipe. I bet your cookie was delicious. We still don't have fall color here in north Texas. The trees are just faded looking. Hopefully next month! I'm sad to see October ending. That just means the rest of this favorite time of year will zoom by. :(

LA Paylor said...

perfect! loved all of it. Once we looked at a soup ingredients list for Panera, as I have allergies... lots of less than good for me stuff... so you might ask to see the list too. It could say spices though. Could it be a touch of nutmeg? I add cooking sherry to my soups for tang.
your kitten is adorbs there.
LeeAnna