Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Mask Making ~ Adding a Wired Nose Tab

 


This is my prototype for a Mask with a Wired Nose Guard.

I designed this as I sewed and made adjustments along the way.


These are the materials I used:

Front Piece ... 6.5" by 9.5" of  focus fabric 
Back  Piece ...  6.5" by 9.5" of antimicrobial polycotton fabric
Filter Piece ... 6.5" by 8" Mountain Mist polypropolyne fabric

Neck Piece ... 3" by 5" focus fabric

Nose Guard Piece ... 5" square focus fabric

Nose Guard Wire ... 5" plastic coated craft wire

Neck Elastic Pieces ... two 5" pieces and two 6.5" pieces

Sewing Steps: 


I folded and sewed tube for the back of the neck piece

and folded and pressed in the edges 

and inserted the elastics in the side openings

and top-stitched around the back tab.


To make the nose guard, 

I used a needle nose plier to turn in the cut edges and the wire

and I pressed the 5" square in half.

I folded the triangle right sides together and sewed a partial seam,

starting at one corner and ending and back stitching 

so I could make a pocket for the wire.


I turned right side out and turned the open edges in and pressed.

Then I inserted the nose wire with the curve towards the top point 

and the ends toward the long fold.


Then I carefully topstitched around the edges to close the opening. 


I stay-stitched the noseguatrd pocket with a 1/8" seam

to the top center front of the mask,

taking care not to catch the wire inside with my stitches.

Then I inserted the elastic in the sides and top stitched all around.

closing the ends and securing the elastic.


I layered my mask materials with the filter fabric centered over 

the triangle nose guard on the back of the front fabric

and I placed this on top of the antimicrobial back fabric, front sides together,

and made a tube by sewing the top and bottom seams.

Then I turned the tube right side out and pressed only the open ends in,

being careful not to apply the hot iron to the middle as the heat will melt the 

polypropylene filter fabric. 

I pressed the triangle for the nose guard upward before I sewed. 


Then I folded the triangle downward and topstitched a short line of stitches

in the middle to keep the nose wire in place.


This is the front of my mask before I added the pleats.


Then I added the side pleats to shape the mask.


This is my completed mask.

It is very breathable and comfortable to wear.

It can be pulled down around the neck and worn as a accent scarf

when not in use.

I like to put it on before I go out and wear in down in the car or when I am alone in the back yard and pull it up when I am with others.

Wearing a mask has become second nature to me,

an essential garment and pretty to wear.

I hope you find this tutorial helpful.


Below is a link to a more detailed photo tutorial with the neck straps

Free Tutorial for Masks with Neck Straps Posted Here

If you have any questions, please email me at
scrapatches@gmail.com

Have a Happy Day! 

1 comment:

KatieQ said...

Who would have thought that after all these months we would still be making masks? My family just asked for more. Thanks for the tutorial. I hadn't thought about making them this way. I like the idea of being able to drop them easily when they aren't needed.