Saturday, October 3, 2020

Scrappy Saturday ~ Fabric Play ~ Simple Mug Rug

 


I like to "rug a mug" with my scraps.


 I had these these little cutoff triangles from a recent project
and rather than throw them away or collect even more of them in my scrap boxes,
I like to take them a play with them and sew something useful.


So I sewed then together and picked a scrap of the focus fabric 
to make something large enough for a coaster or a mug rug.


Then I found a scrap of batting  and cut an oversized backing piece
from a scrap piece of fat quarter.
I cut it oversize to make a "self-binding" to keep this project quick and easy.


Ready to quilt. 


My heavy duty walking foot was still attached to my machine from finishing 
the main project made with these fabrics so this entire project
was sewn with my accu-feed foot on my Janome 6600P. 

I quilted simple and easy, straight line stitch-in-the-ditch.


For binding, I simply folded the backing fabric twice and machine
stitched it to the front.


I fold a mitered corner and stitch each side separately,
inserting my needle down into the inside corner of my miter
to start stitching.


This makes neat corners and a pretty edge.

I do not stress if a corner is not perfect.
This is a mug rug that will be spilled on and washed many times.

I really like to make mug rugs with my scraps.

It gives me a pretty accent to put on a side table or nightstand
to match my quilts.


My "snoopervisor" for this project was Ms Katniss,
who likes to peek through the handle in the side of the baskets 
set on high on top of the bookshelf.

May you have a Happy Scrappy Saturday! 

3 comments:

Dorian said...

Fun and easy! and a great way to play with some scraps when done with the bigger project. Have a beautiful day.

Annette S said...

Great little tutorial 👍. I like make up muf rugs too. Trying to work up some of those leftovers instead of putting in the scrap basket bucket or bin.....

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Pat! Aww, your snoopervisor is so cute peeking through the basket handle. Cute mug rug and a great use of those scraps. Happy Sunday! ~smile~ Roseanne