Saturday, May 18, 2013

A Drop of Sunshine Block ~ A Tutorial

A Drop of Sunshine
An Original Block
Block Size:  12.5" by 16.5"
 
This block will be sent to
 
quilts for Boston
 
@
 
How I made this block:
 
 
the plan
 
I knew I wanted to make a block that represented "a drop of sunshine."
I had a basic sketch of the idea.  The block image in my head was all shades of yellow with a blue sky and was made with one of my favorite new quilty rulers,  the Hex n More .  
 
I gathered my yellow fabrics.  Many of these were scrap strips and one was 2" wide so I went with this width for the strips. Placement of the yellows was decided in part by the length of my scrap strips. I decided on a medium solid blue for the sky.
 
 
the drop
 
 
the 2" strips for the "rays"
 
 
sew
 
 
the shape
 
 
trimming to shape
 
 
using seam roller to press seams open as I sew
 
 
move to table for trimming and shaping
 

adding strips
 
 
gaging size
bottom edge to measure 12.5 inches

 
adding rest of yellow strips,
seam rolling open for longer strips seams
 
1st blue sky corner
 
figuring the 2nd corner
 
 
cutting down the top to size ... 16.5 inches
 
 
figuring the top corners

 trimming the block to 12.5" by 16.5"
(back showing)
after adding the corners

 
not quite the image I want

 
back to figuring and sewing corner 4

This is more like it!
 
I'm calling it "Done!"
 
This block was made in memory of Lu,
whom friends say was full of sunshine.
 
For my
 
 
Click Here
 
More blocks to make ...
 
just keep sewing ...
 
~ <3 ~

1 comment:

Dorian said...

Very interesting and unique my Friend.