Thursday, October 10, 2019

I Like Thursday # 30 ~ Sewing Machine Spa Day



Happy Thursday!

My garden is decked out in the colors of fall.


It is getting very cool to sit outside and stitch so I bring a hot cuppa.
and wear my warmest hooded sweatshirt.


I am making progress with my embroidered leaves quilt
although I have many many more to stitch.
I was looking at this and I realized that the first leaves,
which are the three on the bottom right.
were stitched just before I had my first eye surgery.
My stitching has much improved with my better vision.



It is pumpkin time here in my quilty corner.


So I made Pumpkin Spice Crumb Cake to enjoy with coffee or tea.

Pumpkin Spice Crumb Cake
Cake:
 2 ½ cups flour ( I use a mix of 1 ½ cups cake flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour)
½ cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon cloves
3 eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
¼ cup oil or melted butter
½ cup milk
¼ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
Topping: 
½ cup softened butter
½ cup flour
½ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup cream cheese, warmed in microwave until easy to stir
½  teaspoon vanilla
2-3 tablespoons milk (enough to make a thin icing)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Grease a rectangular baking pan,  I use a 11” by 9” glass baking dish.
In small bowl, mix topping ingredients to make a fine crumb and set aside.
Sift together dry ingredients into large bowl.  Add wet ingredients and mix well with electric beater.  If batter is thin add a little more flour.  If the batter is too thin the crumbs will sink to the bottom.  Spread evenly in baking pan. Sprinkle evenly with crumb mixture.  
Bake 50-60 minutes or until center spring back when lightly touched.
Drizzle with glaze.  Serve warm or cold.  


If cold it is extra delicious topped with a little whipped cream.

 I am warming my home with my Fall and Halloween quilts.


I also added a fall sash and apron to my all season angel.
I have been enjoying the
#halloweenquilt parade on Instagram
and have been adding my quilt photos.
Lots of beautiful quilts to see!


I have been working on a new pumpkin quilt.
More Photos Posted Here


Maestro has been her usual helpful self.


Nutmeg and Katniss have been enjoying the fall quilts.
Awww ... kitty kisses!


Katinss is now a senior cat but she is still very playful.
Here is her favorite type of toy ...
foil wrappers from my Dove chocolates rolled into a tight ball.


I always read the inside first.


Mmmmm ... dark Dove chocolates are the best!

Today is a Sewing Machine Spa Day  ... In My Home! 



Last March I posted this in my  I Like Thursday Post #5 
I had found a quilt shop who had a sewing machine service come in once a month
and I brought my machine there.
It is time for my six month spa day for my Janome
and my Singer Featherweight that I bought used has never been serviced.
I found that he will also do in home service.
So my machines do not have to go anywhere ... I like!

I am linking up today with the


where every week we pause to think about all the good things in life,
big and small. 


Have a Happy Thursday!


8 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

How cool that he will come and service your machine in your home. Love your fall decor and the kitties. Mine is just a demanding little diva.

LA Paylor said...

there is something about your writing style I love, the way the pictures and likes form a story of life... it was like being with you. Katniss... I'm getting older too and slowing down a bit. There is something okay about it, not being frantic to do it all, just enjoying the shiny foil balls in life. I wish for a sewing machine technician to come to my house. LeeAnna

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Wow, how lovely to have a sewing machine tech come to your house! That's a great quote on your Dove chocolate. We all need to live by that thought! I want to embroider some leaves and vines on my hand-pieced pumpkins, so I need to find some pattern ideas I can trace - where did your leaves come from, Pat?

Shannon said...

Your kitties are so adorable! And that pumpkin crumb cake sounds delicious. I love pumpkin bread and cookies, and usually make it with pumpkin or butternut squash from the garden. I recently discovered that my freezer is out though- The whole under layer is all frozen apples rather than pumpkin. I've substituted apple for pumpkin in some of the recipes, and they've all been tasty, but I miss the actual pumpkin flavor!

The Joyful Quilter said...

In-home (machine) spa service? That is SEW awesome!!!

PaintedThread said...

What a beautiful rose. (Lots of things are better with a dollop of whipped cream.) ;-) Spa day at home. How wonderful!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What great gourds and pumpkins. Embroidered leaves and pumpkin cake to eat. Perfect autumn pastimes!

Jeanne said...

Your autumn/Halloween décor is excellent! Love that Dove wrapper :) Keep warm!!!