Saturday, March 21, 2020

Bone Broth for the Little One Tutorials ~ Part 3 ~ Quilting the Applique Block


This is my pillow top panel ready to add to my pillow cover.



The Finished Pillow was posted Here

There are two types of quilting here,
both stitched on my regular sewing machine
with the built in walking foot on my Janome 6600p.
Most sewing machines do not have this built in and it is a separate attachment.


If you have a walking foot it looks something like this.
It is also called and even feet foot.
What it does is work together with the regular feed dogs under the fabric
 to help pull heavy fabrics or a quilt sandwich evenly under the needle.

Here is a beginner video of how this works

I actually quilted my first quilts without the benefit of this
attachment even though I had one.
One day, I found it tucked into the foam padding in the bottom of the box
 of my old basic Brother sewing machine.
It is very helpful.
If you have never used or do not have this foot, give it a quilty try.



I added Pellon fusible fleece to the back of my 18" applique block
to stabilize it.  I did not add a back layer of fabric as with a traditional quilt sandwich
as the fleece backed block moves easily with my feed dogs.
You may want to add square of cotton to the back of your fused block.
If you add the back layer of fabric,  a few safety pins would hold it in place, if you want.
I do not add safety pins to my quilt sandwich ... personal preference.
Most things in quilting are personal preferences.
Find what works for you in your happy quilty place.


I started by adding a round of outline quilting about 1/2" way from the
blanket stitch edge of my applique.


I continued added rounds of ripple quilting.


I started my rounds of quilting in a different place along the bottom edge of my applique shape and overlapped the stitches to stop.

I always pull my bobbin thread to the top when I start a quilting line.

Here is a How-to video ~ Pulling Up the Bobbin Thread

This helps avoid thread nests on the back of your quilting.

I actually also do this whenever I start my applique stitching
and any time I start stitching in the middle of my top fabric.




I added ripple quilting out to the edge of my oversized block.


Here is the back fusible fleece showing this quilting.


I could have used this as my pillow top, but we decided make the center a 12" finished block.
We auditioned border fabric and decided on the basketweave for visual interest.

I did not cut my block to 12.5"



I measured a 12" center and added the outer border on top of my quilted block.
This is not the usual way of adding borders to a block or quilt
but in this case it worked for me.


This is my 18" block with the borders added.


The I quilted straight lines about 1/2" apart in the borders from edge to edge.


This created a grid in the corners of my finished quilting.

This is my pillow top ready to be go into my pillow cover.



Bone Broth for the Little One ~ Part 4 ~ Making the Pillow Back
should be posted tomorrow.

Here are the other links in the series: 

 Part 1 ~ Gathering Supplies and Getting Started

Part 2 ~ The Fine Details of the Applique ~ Click Here


More Quilting Ideas

These are similar quilting motifs that are easily done on a regular sewing machine 
with a walking foot ...


Outline quilting on the applique blocks of this
This is an example of my earliest efforts to quilt my quilts.
  To do this I outline the shape and then echo this stitch line with filler lines within the block which helps to make the applique shape stand out.

Similar to outline and echo quilting is a while quilt method of stitching ... 




I used my walking foot and started by making a circle around the eye of the eagle 
and continued to quilt expanding circles around the center outward.

I hope my readers find this series of posts helpful.

Thank you for following along on my quilty journey! 

No comments: