Monday, August 3, 2020

Christmas Quiltings ~ Summer 2020



Christmas in July has spilled into Christmas in August.
I is hot and humid outside again and I am staying cool inside
in my happy sewing place. 
The hurricane off the east coast may meander this way in a few days
but it is already feeling tropical here.
It has been a long, hot and sometimes stormy summer.


Here are the backs of my Christmas Cushion Covers.
I like to make seasonal covers for my favorite sofa toss cushions
so I only have to store the flat covers and use the pillows I have.
If you are interested in how to make this type of cushion closure,
click below for my complete tutorial:


This is the front of the new Christmas cover for my favorite lumbar support cushion
for my reading chair.


I added a bit of ric-rac to the top of this pillow for fun.


These covers were made with scrap bits and pieces


With the smallest scraps I made a coaster and a book mark.


Machine binding made quick work with the coaster and
I added a ric-rac loop so I could even use it as an ornament.


I added bits of the ric-rac to the bookmark, too.
It looks like a Christmas Candle to me now ... :)

I never used to do so, but I am finding this is a great way to 
complete some of those seasonal projects that never seem to get done
 in the busy weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I am cleaning up my sewing are today
 and trying to decide if I am want to sew more
Christmas projects or move on to fall or sew summer ...
or move on to fall.
I will see what my Quilty Muse says as I neaten up and put away.

Do you like to make Christmas Quilts in summer?

Happy Christmas Quiltings! 


5 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great projects Pat. OK I know I saw it somewhere on your Blog, you use snaps as the closure for your throw pillows, correct? What kind?

Dorian said...

Great way to use up those scraps Pat. Your projects are great. I'm glad you are having fun in your sewing space :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super sweet holiday projects!! You are SEW smart to get a head start on the season.

kupton52 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kupton52 said...

Wow!!! You've been busy. I waited too long to order the swag border print from Fabrics.com when they still had 11 yards left. When I checked again, ready to order, they only had one and a half yards left. But I did find 3 yards on Amazon and ordered it there (even though I generally eschew Amazon...) Since I'm having a hard time finding all the fabrics to make the Poinsettia Winter quilt like yours I've decided to make a scrappy red and green version. I found a lady who sold me the book and about 4 yards of her leftover scraps so I'll use those and supplement with "almost the same" fabrics. But I owe you the idea for the quilt. Yours is simply the most beautiful Christmas quilt I've seen. I'm thinking of using a super thin batt and use it as a holiday table cloth. Think that would be weird? Blessings...I absolutely love your blog. Thanks so much. (I deleted earlier comment due to a typo...cannot abide those...lol)