Saturday, August 15, 2020

Embroidered Autumn Leaves ~ My Method


One more free form embroidered leaf on my  


The weather has turned a bit cooler and I have been sitting and stitching 
on our covered deck in the backyard.


The oaks have been dropping their leaves early and green this year.
I gathered some to inspire my free form stitching.

It has been so very dry and hot this summer that even these big trees
cannot get enough water to support their big canopies.
It is concerning when the deepest rooted trees in our area 
cannot find enough water deep in the ground 
and have to shed their leaves.
I cannot recall seeing a summer so dry here.
I am hoping for nourishing rains to feed the trees and bushes
and grasses and crops.
Our water comes from the city taken by the big river that flows on to the sea
so we have plenty of water for the small plants and bushes 
and have been moving the hoses from place to place
but the big trees need water to fall from above.


There is a wide variety of embroidery and pearl cotton threads
in these leaves, but for the last few I have done have 
I have used these lovely variegated 

which I purchased at Fat Quarter Shop

I have had these threads for two years and love stitching with them.


For these quilted leaves, I use a double strand and a chunky large eye needle.

I start my stitch with a loop method borrowed from my cross stitch methods.
I cut a length about 36" and thread both ends through the eye.


I start by bringing my needle up from the back and insert it down to the back 
about 1/4" away.  I do not pull it tight yet.



On the back, I insert the needle through the loop that is formed by folding
the thread in half.


Then I pull the first stitch secure but not too tight.
This locks my stitches without a big knot. 


Then I insert my needle from the back up into the first stitch 
to start my next stitch.


I like to embroider these leaves in a chain stitch.


Here is the back of the stem and main vein of my leaf.
I end my stitching by inserting my needle through the 
last stitch in the back and pulling it secure.
I slip my needle though the batting to hide my tail and snip my thread.


I usually start each side at the bottom stem and stitch upward to close at the top.


Sometimes I add small veins branching off from the center
like the one you can see in the bottom right of the photo.


Sometimes I do the outside of the leaf first and add the center veins afterwards.

Every one of these organic embroidered leaves is different, 
as real leaves are in nature.

I am making good progress on this project this year.

I am finding it relaxing to sit and stitch.

Linking up today with

Slow Sunday Stitching


I hope you are enjoying a happy and safe weekend.


10 comments:

Dorian said...

That's coming along nicely Pat. I like how you fold your thread in half and make the loop for that first stitch, thanks for the tip! We, too, need it to rain, it's way too dry. Praying for an early Autumn for us both :)

Kim said...

Thank you for showing us how you stitch each of your leaves. I love the chain stitch you have chosen for each leaf. I must say the box of those autumn hued threads do look a treat. Your leaves are going to look fabulous sitting alongside those pretty squares of fabric in your quilt.

Julierose said...

What lovely blocks for this Autumnal beauty you are making;))) Those thread are so yummy looking...nice work ;)))
hugs from afar Julierose

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

That looks wonderful, I am so ready for autumn and cooler days.

Sarah said...

Your stitching looks good and that box of thread is gorgeous! We've had a dry summer in the uk but the last couple of days it hadn't stopped raining. We desperately need it!

CathieJ said...

I like your stitching. That thread collection is very pretty. I have a whole bunch of similar perle cotton that I inherited. I plan to use it to embroider baby bibs that I also inherited. Enjoy your stitching.

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely stitching, and what a great box of threads! I love my Valdani threads, though I usually use them single stranded! Great work!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I was just wondering if the Valdani threads could be used for embroidery That's how I start too, really helps with extra bulk on the back of our pieces! Those leaves are perfect for your fall colored quilt!

Jenny said...

Your embroidered leaves are so nice and the variegated thread looks wonderful. I didn't know about the loop method for starting threads, thanks for sharing this tip.

Quilter Kathy said...

Such a wonderful project... I enjoyed seeing all your lovely photographs... especially the one of the table with the project and threads just waiting for the fun to begin!
Thanks for taking the time to link up with the Slow Sunday Stitchers!