Wednesday, September 18, 2019

A Good Day to Bind My Quilt


Toady I am hand sewing the binding to the back of 




To do this type of traditional binding, I cut 2.75" strips and press them in half to make a 
double fold binding for strength and long wear.
I cut the edge of my quilt to 1" beyond the edge of the top fabric
and machine sew the long binding strip to the front of the quilt 
and fold it to the back.
I fold the inch of extra batting in and clip the binding to the back.


Then with the help of my quilty kitties, I hand stitch 
with doubled heavy duty quilting thread.
I prefer the feel of a hand stitched binding on a bed quilt.


It is a long way around this queen size quilt,
but I enjoy the process,
while my kitties nap and keep me company. 

Hope to have this finished tonight
but my hands need frequent breaks
so tomorrow may be the day.

Sweet quilty dreams! 


2 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

The quilt is beautiful and if you can finish the binding that quick I am in awe. Takes me several days.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Pat! This quilt sure looks pretty, and the kitties look oh so very helpful. I expect the next photo we'll see is your guy smiling and holding it up! ~smile~ Roseanne