Thursday, September 26, 2019

I Like Thursday # 29 ~ Falling Leaves and Giving Thanks


A new leaf on my 


which is a very old UFO that I am determined to finish this season.


I found using a small embroidery hoop keeps my work smoother and less wrinkly.


This embroidery stitching is free form.
I could not find the original threads that I used
so I am using anything on hand in the right colors.
The ones in the first post are variegated.
These are not.  It all blends in.

I love fall and fall quilts.

I cannot resist planning a new one when I see one I like.


I saw this quilt on  Lella Boutique on Instagram 
 IG feed that really caught my eye. 

There is an interesting story about this quilt which may be read 

Like many others I wanted to find the pattern.
By request it has been written ...



The prints are a jelly roll.  
They are also perfect with the gray and white setting.
The fabric line is an old, out of print, out of stock
line called "Persimmon"  by 


I have some odd size yardage cuts of this fabric line in my stash and I bought the pattern.
I will have to look for some blues and grays that work with this.
I may have a fat quarter bundle of the PB&J line of Basic Grey
in my stash that would work well.
I shall have to do more stash spelunking soon.


This week I have been 
doing straight line quilting with my heavy duty walking foot on my Janome, 
so my Amara has had an empty frame since my large batik quilt.


While spelunking through my big quilty closet I dug out another old UFO from 2015
that needs quilting  ... and pressing! 



I always wanted to do some feather quilting on this one
and was not sure how I would manage it on my regular machine.
Now that I have a long arm, I can quilt it! 

This is also on my fall "get 'er done" list.


The roll of batting on the bottom bar of my long arm table 
is a constant gym machine for my indoor cats.
I put a piece of folded cut batting which has lots of cat scratches in it on top.
I went in the room yesterday and found it on the floor and batting unrolled ... again.
My foot touched the bunched up batting on the floor and met a solid object 
and a little kitty nose poked out at me.


Nutmeg was curled up inside the loose batting roll
and I  rudely interrupted here catnap.


Maestro immediately decided to investigate.
Next photo would have been these two wrestling and romping away
but they ran over my feet and I did not click fast enough.
LOL ... I love my playful kitties.


I am thankful for people everywhere who look for the good things in life,
like a family friend on facebook who reposts images such as these every day
and fills my newsfeed with happy thoughts.
This one she reposted today from ... 



I am linking up today with the


where every week we pause to think about all the good things in life,
big and small. 


Happy Thursday! 

10 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your new fall quilt is lovely, Pat - I think you have the perfect fabric for it. I used a mini charm pack of that Persimmon line in a hexie project I finished recently and wish I had more! Your kitties' antics with the batting are cute!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Love that photo of nutmeg. Too cute. All lovely quilts!
Enjoy. mary

Shannon said...

Your fall embroidery is so so pretty! I did an embroidered fall wreath piece a few years ago, and seeing your pretty stitching reminds me I need to get my fall decorations out! And I love your kitty in the batting, My giant roll is wrapped up and inaccessible, but I have a ten yard piece of cotton batting not on a roll that's sort of folded/rolled that lives under my work table. Luckily it's in a big cloth bag because my dog discovered it and decided it made a fabulous dog bed since I was sitting in his chair. Of course he goes in and out all the time and was pretty muddy but I think the bag protected the batting. Hope you have a great week!

piecefulwendy said...

All the quilts are so fun to see! I like your new project, and it will be fun to see your embroidered leaves you complete them!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Wow look at you finishing stuff up! Keep it up! How nice to sit and stitch, and so many gorgeous projects. I have lots of fall color fabrics for a fall quilt or two someday, but then I had a squirrel moment and got distracted by greens.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Pat! Oh, that photo of Nutmeg peeking out of that roll of batting!! TOO cute! I would just want to scoop her up. Ooh, the fabrics you pulled for the beautiful Fall pattern will look great with either gray or white or both backgrounds. ~smile~ Roseanne

PaintedThread said...

The variegated thread is pretty. Nice stitching - that will be beautiful. And how good to get it out of the UFO pile.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I think it's wonderful to have an Autumn Leaves quilt in progress to pick up like this and do some stitching on. I too have seen some pretty quilts around that completely grab me. I keep thinking I should make one with maple leaves, being Canadian and all.

Jeanne said...

Those little embroidered leaves are so cute!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

"stash spelunking"— I love the image I'm seeing in my head right now. :-)