Sunday, December 8, 2019

Freezer Paper Quilting Method ~ Jelly Glazed Hearts


Freezer Paper Quilting Templates

I have been using this technique for years to add uniform size motifs to my machine
quilting on my regular sewing machine.

Tips about using Freezer Paper Quilt Templates:

(1) These templates may be temporarily adhered to your quilt top by
pressing with a dry iron on a medium setting.
Paper side up.  
Plastic side down.
The warm plastic makes the temporary hold.
Do not touch the plastic side with your hot iron.  

(2) Press from the center out to the edges by lifting and setting your dry iron
on the next section. 

(3) Do Not Stitch on the freezer paper. 
Stitch around or inside your motif, as needed. 
Because of the plastic coating the paper will not tear away without
disturbing your quilting stitches.

(4) These templates may be peeled off and reused several times.
I usually keep any that I make and store them in plastic bags in folders.

(5) They will leave no marks on your quilt top.

If you have any questions. you may email me at 
scrapatches@gmail.com

For the heart motifs ...


I folded a large square of freezer paper and  cut one large heart 
to fit just inside the seams of my pieced jelly roll hearts.
I pressed, peeled and repressed the same large heart template on
all four of my heart blocks.


I folded cut out a smaller heart inside the large heart cutting away about an 1 inch 
around the edge and repeated the process of pressing, stitching around the edge, peeling
and re-pressing the motif in the center of each large heart. 


I then cut a smaller heart and repeated the process.


Then I cut once more for a small heart in the center of each heart block.


Here are my four graduated heart templates ready to bag and save for another quilt.


Here is one of my quilted hearts. 

The "candleflame" quilting at the top heart was done with simple straight 




I used this method on my most recent quilt
to achieve these graduating size motifs
to emphasize the heart block in my 


I hope you enjoy making and quilting your own version of this fun quilt pattern.

Happy Quilting 

2 comments:

Julierose said...

Those quilted hearts are so beautiful--great idea for freezer paper....thanks for the tip hugs, Julierose

Anna brown said...

Hmmm will give this a try ty for posting. ..