Thursday, December 5, 2019

Security Quilt ~ Secured


This is my oldest "in use" bed quilt.

This is also my grand-darling's security quilt.

I made this twin size bed quilt as "practice"
 when I was teaching myself to quilt
about 14 years ago when my nest was emptying.


It was made with the scraps from this quilt,
which was made from two packs of fat quarters 
that my daughter picked out on an excursion to JoAnn fabrics
when I also bought a magazine that promised me I could
"Learn to Quilt in 10 Lessons."

My Girl was 18  and I wanted to make her a quilt to take to college. 
I sewed the top above but had no idea how to quilt it.

So I "practiced" on the scrap quilt.


I took the extra squares and added some very inexpensive 
fabrics and sewed this top without any pattern.
It used to have a blue binding.
When cutting and sewing and creating
as I went,  I added a narrow green and black 
outside border with the half yard of fabric I had left.
It turned out to be a good design choice
as it is now the second binding on this quilt.


This is what it looked like when I arrived.


The fabrics were ripped and blue binding in shreds from use.
This quilt went to camp, on drum corp buses
and my daughter took it with her to all her life adventures.
I was on the back of her sofa one night when Everly took it off
to bed with her and it is her personal security quilt.

It has been washed well over a thousand times.

I am surprised it has lasted this long.
I quilted it on my old small Brother machine 
before I even knew what a "walking foot" 
was and had not yet found there was one hidden
in the dense foam packing in the bottom of the box.


Everly loves this quilt as it is and would not be happy with
my adding new fabrics for the binding or repairs so
I cut away all the ripped parts and threads yesterday ...


... and I was half way round turning the green and black border into the second binding when she arrived home from school yesterday 
and claimed it for the night.


As soon as she left this morning, my quilty kitty helper
and I resumed hand sewing again.


I finished the hand binding and trimmed and sewed the rips on the top,  some by hand and some by machine.


It may not be much to look at it,
but it is much loved.
May it continue to cuddle and comfort.

8 comments:

Vicki W said...

My Mom is currently repairing a quilt she made for her grandson over 10 years ago. He loves that quilt so she's going to do what you are doing and revive it. There's nothing better that a loved quilt!

PaintedThread said...

So wonderful to have a quilt that's loved. I've told people if they wear out a quilt I've made I will replace it. I like to have things used. :-) Scrappy quilts are so fun.

Farm Quilter said...

I have a 40+ year old quilt that my oldest daughter has adored and lugged all over the place that I need to repair. It was given to her by my oldest friend (she was at my first birthday party), with poly batting and tied with yarn. She loved it literally to pieces. I'm to try to salvage it for her! That's what I would like to have happen to every quilt I make!!

Quilting Babcia said...

And this is why we make quilts! Beautiful story, beautiful quilt.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I like the fact that a gifted quilt is used and not stored away (or gotten rid of). And loved to it's very inch of fabric by not one but two people is just a wonderful story. Hopefully it makes a pass on to the next generation with the story behind the much loved quilt.

Dorian said...

The best quilts are those that are loved to death!! So glad you were able to fix this one up. Have a great day!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Nothing better than a well loved quilt! You warmed my heart with this post! Have a great day!

Qltr89 said...

I repaired a heart quilt last year that I made in 2001. The damage was extensive due to her dog getting a hold of it. Before I repaired the heart quilt I made her another one to use. It took me a couple of weeks to repair the heart quilt. I will reply to your email with before and after pictures, if I can.