Wednesday, January 16, 2019

The Importance of Being Accurate


Nine Patch Tracks
12" Block, Finished
Jelly Roll Friendly


Yesterday a new  quilting friend in an online sewing group was struggling 
with the math and the 1/4" seam allowance
while making a 12.5" block unfinished.

It started a discussion in the group and
sent me to my machine
to illustrate my comments.
I am a hands on person
so I designed this simple block.



Start with 2.5" scrap strips

The question was how to make a block from jelly roll strips 
and what size would the units be after sewing.

It could be called a Nine Patch Block or a Rail Fence Block
but I am calling this block Nine Patch Tracks,
in part because of my fabric choices.
This was made with some of my scrap kitty fabrics. 


Two strips sewn together measure 4.5" across.
These strips will be 2" wide in the finished block. 

Sew the strips together using a 1/4" seam and cut into 4.5" squares


Measure seams!
An accurate seam measures 1/4" from stitching line to edge.

I have moved my ruler a thread to the right so you can see the seam thread line.

Many quilters like to sew a "scant 1/4" seam which measures slightly smaller.

I like to maintain a full 1/4" so my seams will not be compromised and fray
with lots of washing.


Rulers are a quilter's friend!

It is important to maintain an accurate 1/4" seam
and to measure and square units before sewing them into the block.
The time spent measuring and squaring is well spent
as it insures the block will be the correct size in the end.


Put the right foot forward!
(like my ever helpful quilty kitty Maestro) 

I find a 1/4" foot invaluable.

I now use the flanged 1/4" foot on the left which was included
with my Janome 6600p.
I find the flange is a good guide for the edge of my fabric.

I started my quilting adventures with the foot on the right,
which is from my old Brother machine and fits my Janome.
I learned to sew an accurate 1/4" seam with this foot.
I  sometimes still use this while paper piecing.
This foot measures 1/4" from the right of the needle hole.
When learning, I put down a strip of narrow masking tape on the bed of my
old Brother machine marking 1/4" for my seams.

If you are a new quilter, practice, measure 
and find what works best for you.


I measure and square each block with my worn
12.5 inch Quilter's Ruler.


This block was constructed with nine 4.5" square units,
alternating directions of the strip seams.
3 rows and 3 units.
A very easy block.

This was my 15 minutes of fun playing with my scraps yesterday.

I am working on several projects for blog hops right now and
am looking forward to showing them to you soon.

May you have a happy quilty day! 


3 comments:

claudia said...

Great advice! thank you for sharing!!!

Needled Mom said...

Such cute fabrics too.

Susan said...

That fabric is so cute.