Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Stitching and Hoping ...




... and counting and praying.

I am stitching along with the hashtag
 #quilterscottagestitchalong 









I am not a YouTube person.

I have never been much of a "joiner" or "follower."
Blogging and quilting and, now, cross stitching has pulled me out of my
comfy little hidey place. 

I have to admit that the moment I see 
any other "live streaming now" video pop up in
my FB feed, I cringe and hit the "hide" button.

Yet, I have started calling myself a "Kimberly Fan Girl."

I have learned a lot in these livestreams and videos
and enjoy the lovely people in the 


So I am stitching along ... and made mistake #1
(the row on the left is 12 Xs and it should be only 11 Xs)

It would be a lot of ripping and starting over so I am embracing the error 
and my gate will be a little higher than it should be.
So be it.

My eyes are really, really bad these days.

I am seeing my eye surgeon today.

He may or may not say it is time to schedule the next eye surgery.

Most of me says I hope he does not.

I am very fearful of surgery.

Fearful that something will go wrong and I will lose what sight I have now.

On the other hand, my sight is going downhill.

It has been for many years, slowly and steadily.

The past few months have seen the slope become sharper and the decent more rapid.

Every stitch I take is an accomplishment in my eyes.

Mistakes are acceptable.

I just keep stitching.

I have been blogging daily this year.

I am counting my blessings.


My cross stitch project is packed to carry along
to the doctor's office,
although I know the first thing they will do is dilate my eyes 
and let me sit in the waiting room awhile.

It takes several extra hours for my eyes to get back to normal,
so there may be no more stitching at all today.

Update:  No more surgery for my eyes in the works for now.
It is still elective at this time and I elect to wait 
and work with what I have and what I know
I go back in six months to reassess the future.
When it gets to the mandatory stage, then it will be time.  

See you tomorrow ... :-) 


9 comments:

Quilting Tangent said...

Looks good, so what if the picket is a little higher. Good luck with your eyes.

Sue said...

It's not a mistake, it's a design element. Good luck with your eyes.

Natureluvr57 said...

If you're talking cataract surgery I had to have both eyes done before I was 60! I will say it was the easiest surgery I went through-no pain but strange how they put you to sleep but not deep so they can ask you questions during the procedure. I was extremely near sighted before and would put my face up to whatever I was doing, drawing...plucking eyebrows...stitching but now I'm more farsighted and can't do that anymore. I have to put readers on to pluck eyebrows and it's not easy. A big difference. When I cross stitch I wear my progressives and slip on a pair of readers (I used 2.75 yo 3) lower on my nose. I prefer that because I can look down and see to stitch and look up over the readers to see what's on tv. I do have a really great LED Brighttech floor lamp with magnification when the readers won't work, like working on 40 count. I'll include the link to the lady (SewVeryEasy)that shows the Brighttech just in case you need one someday. I like that the magnifier has a "lid" on it. I was watching Flosstube one day and the lady said she left her floor magnifier out and the sun was streaming through the window and I think it was her chair actually started smoldering-good thing she walked by in time. I learn a lot from some of the Flosstube videos while some is just to show what they worked on and bought. I love finishing videos made by Vonna Pfeiffer, the Twisted Stitcher. Magnifier Floor Light Review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUmWOK_xgd8

Scrapatches said...

Thank you for the encouraging words. Without going into personal details about my eye condition, I can say that my issue is far more serious than simply cataract surgery, which I have already had in both eyes. So far I have had two surgeries in both eyes and this has helped improve and prolong my vision. I currently wear progressive corrective lens and also have readers. I have two very good craft lamps without which I could not see to sew and stitch. I am happy to hear you have also found what works for you to keep stitching after eye surgery. It is nice to meet another Flosstube fan here on my blog. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a kind word today ... <3 Pat

Scrapatches said...

Thank you ... :-)

Scrapatches said...

Thank you. "Design element" ... I like that idea ... :-)

Needled Mom said...

Cross stitch is definitely not easy with failing eyesight. I always wear one of those magnifying pieces around my neck and have a super bright light on my work when I do any cross stitch these days.

Scrapatches said...

Thanks, Mary, I have magnifiers. Not one I wear around my neck. Maybe I should look into that type. I have tried various magnifiers, but they do not really work for me. Larger does not always make it easier for me to see. My vision is such that things still look too blurry to see clearly. I made another mistake last night while stitching and had to rip this one out. I shall muddle on and get it done slowly ... :-) Pat

Natureluvr57 said...

I'll put you on my Prayer list. Our eyesight is soooo precious. I know there are many worse things that can put our sight at risk so I hope and pray things get better. Yes, a big fan of FT since tv and cable doesn't offer much I like. Have a great week and weekend