Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Show Your Wings Blog Hop ~ My Day



My "Wings" Cushion Cover

for the


I am using this pattern:


Left Facing Feathers Block # 1

This block measures 8 and 1/2" unfinished.


from 



I started choosing fabrics for this quilt HERE

I decided on one of my favorite stash fabrics,

Guernsey by Brenda Riddle


I dithered over the background fabric HERE


I decided on the aqua dot for the sky fabric 
and started sorting my Guernsey Layer Cake.


Cutting is very complicated,
but the pattern has very good instructions.


There is a lot of very precise piecing involved ...


... and the smallest squares I have ever sewn into block,
two 3/4" squares form the beak.

Cutting and sewing instructions include notes
for both right-facing and left-facing birds.


I added fusible fleece to the back of this block and quilted it
with King Tut varigated light blue thread.


I quilted it with my walking foot and lots of outline quilting 
for durability.



I want to make a new quilt for my bed
but decided to turn this first block into a cushion cover
for my favorite back pillow.

You can see how thread bare the old, eight year old cover was.
This pillow underneath is even older,
at least 15 years old
and it was gift to me from my daughter
when she was in her teens, 
just one of the reasons why it is my favorite pillow.


Here is my finished pillow cover.
I  like to bind pillows just as I would quilts.
I added a little black button eye.


For the back of the pillow,
I used my only half yard of my favorite focus fabric from this collection
and made a simple envelope back
so it would be soft and comfy. 

The binding fabric,
a text print in my favorite spring green,
was made from scrap strips leftover from the quilt behind it.


This pillow is the perfect size and firmness for my much needed lumbar support.
I use it every day and every night. 

I am happy to have given this pillow such a beautiful new cover.

Here are photos of it when it got a new cover 8 years ago ... 


This  is what it looked like then
and I made it with leftovers 
to match ... 

... to match My Favorite Bed Quilt

This quilt is also getting worn from use and many washings.

Both of the kitties in these photos have wings,
Mina and Butterfly, 
as they have crossed the rainbow bridge.

It is time for a new quilt and I will be making one with my Guernsey 
and other stash fabrics.

Last time I sewed the small cushion cover last 
with scraps as an afterthought.
This time I sewed it first
and will now make the bed quilt to match it. 


The quilt pattern calls for 30 of these bird blocks,
15 right facing and 15 left facing.
The finished quilt will be about 60" by 70"
but I will be making it larger of my queen size bed.

I will be sewing bird blocks.
for a long time.

During the sewing,  I will be using pretty quilt behind it on my bed.


I like having more than one quilt in similar colors for my bedroom. 

It is time to think spring! 

Enjoy all the stops on the hop today:

February 19th







Life in the Scrapatch  (you are here)


Thank you to 
for organizing this hop.

 

Still is winter in my quilty corner and the sun is sometimes hard to find.

Snow here again today.

Thank you for stopping by and brightening my day.

Happy Blog Hopping! 

29 comments:

Creativeblonde66 said...

Such an adorable cushion cover. Those fabrics are so pretty ♥

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Really sweet. Good luck with the quilt. :)

Jo said...

Your quilt and pillow will make such a soothing set for your bed. Glad to see your angel kitties honored in your photos.

tink's mom said...

This is a beautiful piece. A full quilt will be stunning. I love how you quilted it. It really makes the bird pop. That last photo, with the sun is perfect.

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

I love your pillow, it's so beautiful! A matching quilt would be amazing.

Unknown said...

That's the best little birdie I've seen in a long time!

Sherry said...

Your pillow is so sweet and I love the fabrics. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anita Jackson @ Domestic Felicity said...

Wishing you some Warmer Spring weather to come with your beautiful pillow cover! so lovely, but the snow is lovely too, yes?

Carol Swift said...

I love the fabrics in this and your bird pillow looks gorgeous in them! It's always nice to change things up a bit and I think your choice of fabrics will bring lot of smiles. Those birds will make an amazing quilt. Thanks for inspiring us today, Pat!

Sherry said...

Love your little birdie! Never thought about using a bead for the eye. And the quilting shows it off nicely.

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Love that cute bird! Definitely looks like Spring. We have snow right now too. Good day to sew and quilt.

For the love of geese said...

Awe, this is an adorable block. Your fabric choices are perfect,so cheery. For the love of geese

Susan said...

I really like your block and a whole quilt of these will be stunning. Yours is my favorite "Wings" project so far.

Joyce Carter said...

Your pillow cover is just beautiful Pat. I really love the colors. I have a pattern similar to that one and have wanted to make something with it. Your cover has inspired me to start working on making a quilt. Thank you for sharing.

Angie said...

Your cushion cover is awesome! It's so cool you use it every day! Your project is my favorite so far, cause I love birds. A quilt to match will be amazing! Enjoy your day! Thank you for sharing! :-) :-) angielovesgary2 atgmail dotcom

beaquilter said...

Adorable!

Super Mom - No Cape! said...

What a pretty cushion cover!!

Susan said...

Nice little birdie pillow - well done!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Pat! What a fabulous pillow/cushion you shared with us today. Even more, I love the story behind it. I can't wait to see that quilt that goes along with this beautiful birdie. ~smile~ Roseanne

Lori Smanski said...

I am sorry about your angel kitties. Your pillow is so pretty. And the fabrics you have used are lovely. What a wonderful idea to cover these cherished pillows. Thanks for inspiring. quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

Suze said...

Pat, you brightened my day. I love the birdie pillow. I find inspiration everytime I read your blog and want to start making what you are making. I love the fabric you chose. I love the white with little blue dot for the background fabric. My Rick loved birds and I had a quilt to make for him and never got it made. Oh, well. Maybe I'll make it for one of the three grandboys of mine that he knew and claimed. This is a wondeful bird pattern. How do you find all these wonderful patterns? You can't be on the Internet all the time and get all the quilting done that you do. Thanks for participating in the hop.

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

Lovely pillow and your bird is so sweet. You did a great job on this project. The Guernsey Literary & Potato Pie Society was a great read...i bet you thought so as well. Thank you so much for the beautiful post.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Enjoy your new cushion cover! I'm glad to see that you were inspired by Carol's Show Your Wings Blog Hop.

Carla said...

Oh, Pat, that is the cutest pillow and the quilt will be to dye for. Love the pieced bird.

Karrin Hurd said...

What an adorable pillow!

Calicojoan said...

I'm late, I'm late for a very important date...sorry I wasn't here yesterday, but there was no online time for me. This little bird is just adorable. Gorgeous fabrics your chose too. I can hardly wait to see the big quilt, it's going to be stunning!

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...


Adorable bird and the aqua dot for the sky could not be more perfect! Such a beautiful pillow cover. I can easily see a beautiful collection of birds for your new quilt. Jolly Bar Jazz Quilt will keep you warm while your work on the other one. So sweet of you to include Mina and Butterfly - beautiful kitties!!

-Soma

Carol said...

Love your sweet birdie! It's very attractive--must be worth all the cutting when you end up with such a lovely creation. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

Love that we picked the same pattern. Your pillow is so pretty!