Friday, May 8, 2020

Making Custom Masks with Neck Straps


Custom Mask with Neck Straps

I made this rose mask for me after making some that my hubby requested.
This is the most comfortable and best fitting mask I have made and worn.


Mr Scrapatch wears hearing aids and eyeglasses
and asked me if I could make him a mask that did not fit over his ears,
because the elastics get tangled with his hearing aides and eyeglass stems.
He picked the fabrics and elastic. 


This is the back of the mask
and shows the fabric square that holds the elastics to the back of his neck.
It is easy to pull this down around his neck and pull it back up when needed
and does not interfere at all with his hearing aids
as it fits well enough to wear the elastics under his ears.


These are extra large masks with deep angled pleats
that fit us better than the regular size masks.


It is easy to add the back fabric patch.


I also add a nose wire pocket and cut plastic coated craft wires 
and turn in the sharp edges with needle nose pliers.
This gives a tight fit over the nose and eliminates eyeglass fog.


Here are the pieces to make this 

Extra Large Mask with Neck Straps 

The mask rectangles, front and back are cut at
7.5" by 11"

The nose wire pocket is 2.5" by 5.5"

The back patch is 3.5" by 6.5"

The  4 elastic straps are 6" 


The nose wire is cut at 5..5" and the ends are tuned in 1/4" on each side.


I sew the nose wire pocket to the top center of the mask before 
sewing the mask tube and then I sew the top and bottom.


I turn rightside out and press the mask and sew the four elastics to the front.


Then I sew the back patch tube the same way I sew the front,
leaving the ends open and turning and pressing.


Then I sew the elastics into the four corners of the back patch.


Then I sew the elastics to the back patch.


I added the deep, angled chin tucks to my mask, too.
I found I had the tack the bottom elastic to the back of the bottom front corners
of my mask to get a good tight chin fit
so for my future masks I will cut the bottom elastics at 4.5 inches instead of 6 inches.
The ones I made for my hubby fit him well as is.

You can just see the elastic tuck on the right front back in this image.

I find being able to wear my mask around my neck a big plus.

I make all the masks I donate according to the recommended size
but it is nice to customize the ones I make for us to wear.




Basic Mask Pattern is Linked Here

In our state we every person over the age of 2 years old
 is required to wear a mask in public.
Stores and other businesses have signs on their doors
saying you must wear a mask to enter.
Mr Scrapatch is required to wear a mask all day where he works.

I am good with this.

Wearing a mask is being careful and being safe
and showing you care about others.

We are all in this together. 

<3 <3 <3 

5 comments:

Angie said...

I teally like your custom masks alot. Thank you for telling how you created them. Stay healthy. Enjoy your day!! 🌞😷💙🌷

RosieGma said...

Love the way you added the back piece for your elastic..so clever...may be making so more masks for friends and myself...thank you for your lovely tutorial.

Unknown said...

Would you consider making a step by step video?

Roshan said...

Its amazing to see creativity in these designs. Keep it up with good work. You can also check our blog :
Custom mask

Patricia said...

Thank you! I wear hearing aids and this pattern is perfect.