Thursday, May 7, 2020

I Like Thursday #54 ~ Near and Far

Near

My tulips are blooming.


This one has a  touch of red inside.


I love red and yellow tulips.


This tiny flower is also red and yellow. 
This is the sweetest scented flower ... ever.
It has a bit of spice to it.
The honey bees love this bush and come from miles away every year when it blooms.
It is on the gooseberry bush in my backyard.
I live in the house I grew up in and my mother was a gardener.
Either she planted this or it grew naturally. 
She favored native bushes and flowers. 
Gooseberries are on a prohibited list in many states,
due to the fact they can foster red blister disease in white pines when in proximity,
but in my state this one is legal because it grows in a city
  that does not have a ordinance against them.
I have native white pines in my yard, too,
and they have all lived in harmony for over 70 years. 
My white pines are healthy and have no signs of blister.


These little forget-me-nots are also bloomimg.
I planted pink and blue ones in another place in my front yard last year
and these are volunteers that sprang up in a sunny spot in my backyard. 


I recently (finally!) finished the binding on This Quilt
and took it out for a few photos.


and I do love the quilting.
I need to do more of this free style motif quilting.


I was sitting on my yard swing enjoying the flowers and the fauna,
and the quilt and the cat,
as the sun was starting to set and Katniss was dosing in the sun in her cattery 
 when she jumped up and sprang across the enclosure.


Squirrel alert! 
This critter actually came down her side of this big white pine.
It has a squirrel nest about 30 feet up. 


This little guy went under the swing and came out within 6 inches of my foot.
I got my camera around and caught this shot.


This is a baby squirrel.
Isn't he cute?
Baby wandered over to my bird feeders for dinner.
He does not know to be afraid of humans ... or cats ... yet.
My cats are outside only on a leash or in their cattery,
but we have a lot of free roaming feline visitors. 
I am hoping he less tame soon. 


Also coming for dinner was this little Tufted Titmouse.
These little guys are very vocal and have surprising loud voices
and lovely songs as well a clicks and buzzes.


Titmouse and spouse did not come close but flew up to my feeders
as the sun was setting.

I have been enjoying my home and yard 
and doing my "traveling" on my computer ... 

Far

This photo popped up in my opening Microsoft screen recently,
It looked like a photo from movie setting in a galaxy far far away or something. 


It is actually a real place on earth in Turkey where a city with homes and hotels and businesses are built within the natural forming limestone caves.
What a place! 

Speaking of people and galaxies far away ...

I have been missing My Girl so I really enjoyed this video she made ...


... for Star Wars Day.

It shows how to make that trendy whipped coffee,
Star Wars style.



Here is my Whipped Cafe.
I was out of bantha milk and left out the blue food coloring ... ;)

Only instant coffee works for this.
I used two packets of this Taster's Choice
which equaled two tablespoons.


The whipped coffee topping has a marshmallow type texture.
My hand held frother worked
but a hand held mixer is the quickest way to whip this up.


I like it best when I stirred it with my straw and it was like a sweet creamy iced coffee treat.

Very tasty!  

I am going to go enjoy visiting my friends, 


Happy Thursday! 


7 comments:

Cathy said...

I just love spring flowers. Your quilt is absolutely beautiful! And the cattery is genius!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Pat! What a fun video your daughter made for Star Wars day! Your yard looks glorious, and that cattery run is so fun. I'll bet Katniss wanted to get that baby squirrel. WOWEE - that photo from Turkey is just fab. I did not see it when I visited Turkey, but I wish I had. The whipped coffee - I've been meaning to try it. I even have instant coffee here for my mocha cheesecake recipe. What a fun post. ~smile~ Roseanne

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Yes to the tulips! I love the colors in your quilt. Thank you for sharing that city in Turkey-just stunning.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Yay for tulips. I had a couple spring up. They are dark purple. The gooseberry is lovely. The squirrel is young, hopefully it will learn. That is an awesome photo of the city in Turkey. On FB I was invited to join a group a view from my window. It is kind of neat. But then there are people you know don't have a great view, and they share. Some of the comments are interesting. I bought instant coffee to make the whipped, but haven't done it yet. Did I try some of the cold brew I made? Yes, with cream it was wonderful.

PaintedThread said...

So many good likes! Love your tulips. That squirrel has a lot of learning!

Dorian said...

Your yard is looking lovely Pat. Everything is in bloom here too. Love those photos of Katniss and squirrel! And that picture of a town in Turkey! WOW! Have a lovely day.

LA Paylor said...

oh how wonderful!
and pesky squirrels, catness!
wish I could smell the gooseberry blossoms... funny how some creatures can live in harmony and some just have to kill others... oy vey

your sewing is nice, I like the format of near and far too