Saturday, May 30, 2020

Unsettled and Haunted by Quilty UFOs


My sewing life feels unsettled right now 
and my thoughts and dreams are haunted by UFOs.

I have recently pulled out fabrics for two projects and not sewn a stitch.
Both of those have been put aside.

I have two current WIPs that are languishing unfinished ,
even though I love the fabrics and patterns. 

I have three larger BOM type projects that I started this year and I have not kept up.

I  also have two scrap projects started this year that are also sitting neglected.

I have one project that I started last fall and it was left behind
when I went south in November
and never picked up again when I returned just before Christmas.

All of these are projects that I really want to finish.

I cannot quite say why I am not sewing.

I could say it is because I am enjoying the warm weather and flowers blooming in my yard.
I am, but usually I go out and enjoy and then come in and sew.
It just is not happening.

I could blame it on the current unrest in the greater world,
but usually my sewing space in my happy place.

Peace by Piece is a personal motto.

I have been cleaning and organizing in my sewing room and closets.


These fabrics are some that recently haunted my quilty muse at night,
so I dug them out to set them in the sun.
These are Timeless Treasure fabrics from 2007.

I hope they are the ones to get me out of my quilty funk.


There are three blocks for a Sampler BOM from 2008
that never made it into a quilt.

This pattern is still available free online
@

It is a vestige left after the passing of this once great Quilting Forum,
one of the places where I learned to quilt.

2008 was the year before I started my quilting blog
so I have no old WIP photos.

You can see how old these stitches are and how imperfect my points and seams were then.

At that point of my quilting journey I was still sewing on my old light-weight
 Brother machine, that was getting tired and even trips to the 
sewing machine care guy I had at the time did not help.

You can see the seam in one of HSTs that the stitches are too far apart and loose.
I will have to reinforce some of these seams to use these blocks
but I am not taking them apart to try to make them "perfect."
The background fabric is not to be found.
It has probably long since been used in another project.
I do not think I am making the rest of the blocks. 

They are what they are and I am going to honor the past
by giving these three blocks a finish.
I will see what the rest of the fabric says to my quilty muse.

Hope to have a finish to show you someday soon.

Wish me luck ... ;) 


4 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I find days that are difficult - a walk, a book, a nap - is all I can muster. I remember that fabric line as well as was part of the Quilt Forum = oh, my! To finish this little ray of sunshine would fill a heart - a completion of a circle.

Dorian said...

HUGS my Friend, that is the way of life, the ebbs and flows. Sometimes you are on top and sometimes things are passing you by (Dr Seuss is so great at pointing this out in his Oh the Places you'll Go book, lol). I love your sunflowers, reminds me of Milica :), it will make a great table runner, mistakes (which I dont see) and all. Just take it one UFO at a time, and you'll get things accomplished. Have a lovely day, enjoy your pretty outdoor flowers, as well as your indoor ones.

Chantal said...

You and I, dear. I have days like that too. I go for a walk, play in the garden, bake something, anything to stay away from the sewing room when I feel like that. I find that the next day, I am more interested (I didn't say enthused) in my work. Hope you can walk out of the rut soon. ;^)

sue s said...

I'm sorry you are drifting. I, too have had more days like that recently. I'm glad you had a link to Block Central; they were one of the first bookmarks I had when I began to quilt and I'd lost it.