Friday, March 26, 2021

Scalloped Quilt Binding Tutorial

 


Scallop Quilt Binding Tutorial

I have my own method for cutting and  sewing a scallop binding for a quilt.

I have been using this method for many years for curved bindings.

Today's tutorial shows how I cut and sewed the binding for my


 Show Your Stripes Blog Hop Quilt

This is an advanced scalloped binding as it has points on the corners.



If you have never done a curved binding you may want to start as I did, 

with a small project, like these

 Heart Shaped Mug Rugs ~ Tutorial Here 


I cut my binding strips on the width of fabric and I have never had any difficulty easing the curves.

For a tutorial that shows how I cut, sew and press my bindings, Click Here.

Many quilters prefer to cut binding strips on the bias for a curved binding.

Every quilter should always follow their own quilty muse.


I sew my strips together on the straight edge and use my binding baby.


I quilted my quilt edge to edge.
My quilt measured 64" square.

I used my Quick Curve Ruler to cut my scallops.

To determine how many scallops  I would have on each side 

I subtracted 4" for the depth of the curve and divided my 11"

which is the length of the curve on this ruler.

This determined that I would have 5 scallops per size with about 4" extra.

The extra inches will form the points on the corners. 


I trimmed and squared all the edges on my quilt before I marked my curves.

To mark my scallops, I start in the middle of each side.

I turned the ruler and used a pencil to mark the center.

The pencil marks will not be visible, but they could be erased.

You may use a Frixon pen or whatever marking tool you prefer.

Then I marked the outer point of each scallop.

I did not draw lines for the curves.

Then I moved the ruler outward on each side of center and marked each scallop.

I marked all sides before I cut.


To determine the corner point I simply extended my QCR

 off the edge of my trimmed quilt.

You can see in this photo that my ruler is squarely on the corner.

For the points,  I did lightly pencil the curve off the edge of the quilt,

but this is not necessary as long as your ruler is held steady and straight.


Then I cut my scallops, starting in the center of each side. 

I made sure my ruler was aligned with the marked dots and held it steady

and used my rotary cutter for the curve.

I have found I need to use a pair of sharp fabric scissors to make a clean cut

from each direction where the curves meet. 


To cut the corner points I use my rotary cutter and cut in both directions

You can see a very small miss cut in this point where I Moved my ruler slightly,

This will not matter as it will be covered by the binding strips. 



Here is my cut scallops before sewing the binding. 


I machine sewed the binding to the front of the quilt,

easing the curves and pivoting the angles.

 I stop and turn and resume each inside or outside angle much
 I would for regular 90 degree corners. 
I loosely adjust for the difference in the angle.
It will all work out in the end. 


I turn the binding to the back and hold in place with mini clips
and hand sew the binding to the back.
I place extra clips to secure the folds in the turns.


Hand stitching this side is one of my favorite parts of the quilt making process.


I like to use a beeswax thread conditioner when I am binding to keep my thread from twisting.
My favorite hand needles are Bohn as they are strong and rarely bend.
This is a short sashiko needle which I find easy to thread as it has a larger eye than most hand sewing needles. 


I hope you have found this Scalloped Binding Tutorial useful.

Please email me if you have any questions about this or the
Heart Shaped Mug Rug Tutorial.

Happy Quilting! 



2 comments:

Material Girl said...

I love scalloped bindings- so pretty! I’m a bit confused though....you do not cut on width of fabric or use bias strips?? I do not like bias strips on pointy corners,prefer my width of fabric cuts. They look lumpy to me when I use bias........ thanks for sharing.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Good morning, Pat! Excellent tutorial for the whole process. I've never made anything with a scalloped edge, and I can't help but ask myself why not?! I'm going to PIN this so that when I do (finally) made something with a scallop, I can try your technique. I love the beeswax tip, too. ~smile~ Roseanne
P.S. Do you follow Kathleen McMusing? She has a Tips and Tricks linkup each month that you should add this post to. {{Hugs}}