Thursday, February 22, 2024

I Like Thursday ~ Quilty Challenges

 


I like learning something new. 

This is my first ever hand appliqued block.


It is not perfect, but I like it!

I learned a lot making this first block and think my work improved

by the end of making this block.



This is the Strawberries Block from the



I am using prints from her pretty 30's fabric lines for this quilt. 


For my next block I made this set of templates.

I actually made two sets of templates, 

one for me and one for a quilty friend.


These templates are for the Sugar Plum quilt block from the book.

Hand-piecing is recommended for this block but I like to sew curves 

on my machine so I may try using that method to piece my block.

This block will be a challenge.

I like quilty challenges.


If you like quilty challenges, too, and are interested in making this block,

there is currently a sew along happening for this block pattern

Sugar Plum Quilt Along @ Sunny Day Supply

This is the pattern, 

Sugar Plum by Judy Newman,

 for the quilt along in their shop.

I believe from what I have read that this pattern

 and the templates from Paper Pieces

are for 14 inch finished blocks.


The block I made from the Atsuko Matsuyama book will be 12" finished,

as are all the block sizes in this book. 

I may someday make a quilt like this,

but for now I will be happy to finish one block for my sampler.

So you could also purchase the book to make this block.



My Wordless Wednesday photo shows my useful thimble for 

stitching my applique block.

I like this Clover Adjustable Ring Thimble with Plate

for sashiko, embroidery, hand applique and piecing and any other hand sewing.

I like to wear it on my right ring finger with the plate against my palm.


What finger do you like to use for your thimble

 and what is your favorite kind of thimble? 


Thanks to my online quilty friends 

for answering my applique questions

and encouraging me along.


Thanks also to the lovely group of bloggers at

I Like Thursday @ Not Afraid of Color

for filling my Thursdays with bright photos and thoughts.


Happy Thursday! 


4 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Beautiful blocks and fabrics. They are just perfect for a vintage QAL. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a beautiful bundle of fabric, Pat! It's going to make a lovely quilt. It looks to me like your applique went really well. I haven't done much of it either, but I love the look of it!

PaintedThread said...

Your applique looks great. Sugar plum looks cool. Interesting thimble. I have a ring one that is just a band. I hate the feel of a traditional thimble on my finger.

Angela said...

Oh! I like it too! Very pretty!