Sunday, February 18, 2024

Slow Sunday Stitching ~ Hand Applique


This is my current slow stitching project.

I am learning how to do hand-applique my way,

which means after watching many videos and reading many how-to methods,

I am figuring out what actually works for my many thumbs

by trial and error.

I started

  My Vintage Flower Sampler Quilt in January

with my Atsuko Matsuyama fabric stash. 


After completing

 My 2nd Vintage Flower Pieced Block Here

I decided to try one of the applique blocks.

I can manage an adequate raw-edge machine applique block,

but for this quilt I decided to try my hand again at hand-applique.

I attempted to learn needle turn applique many years ago, 

but put it aside feeling all thumbs and not completing a block. 

I have always wanted to try again. 

I started 2024 deciding this would be my quilty challenge for the year.


This is the block lay-out and my threads.

This photo was taken when my pieces were cut and not yet prepped.

At that point I had planned a white tone-on-tone background 

before I decided a softer looking background was needed for these fabrics.

I bought the package of 30s colored applique threads at a quilt show

 many years ago and they have been waiting and waiting, still wrapped, in my stash.

Then recently I purchased the creamy white and a few more colors.


This is Aurifil 80 weight cotton thread which is new to me. 

This thread is so much nicer than any of the many others that I have tried before

I think I will never use any other thread again for invisible stitching again.

I had a surprise kitty helper today!

This is the first time Cassian, who was a stray we took in at the end of 2022,

has taken any interest in any of my sewing or stitching endeavors.

Katniss sits with me everyday on my sewing table

 so I put one of her favorite furry cat beds there for her.


Cassian very quickly started settled as my kitty supervisor and inspector. 


It was purrrfectly wonderful to have him sitting with me while I stitched.

My boys came over for a nice visit this afternoon and my needle was idle.

I only have a few more pieces to stitch though so

I hope to have a finished applique block very soon.


Linking up tonight with the lovely stitchers at

Slow Sunday Stitching @ Kathy's Quilts

Enjoy the links! 


3 comments:

Jill said...

How wonderful, you are going to applique which works best for you! Many applique books have been read and videos watched by me as well. Great strategy to do it what’s easiest for your hands. Thanks for 80 wt Aurifill recommendation. Too cute, Cassian has a new interest.

Dorian said...

I'm glad you're enjoying your stitching Pat. Keep at it, and you'll find the best way for you to do applique. Glad to see you have a good supervisor :) Take care.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Keep up the stitching! You will be pleasantly pleased how much easier applique becomes, happy stitching!