Thursday, February 15, 2024

I Like Thursday ~ United In Sewing

 


United.

I saw this quilt and a block exchange on Instagram yesterday.

I have not done a block exchange in many years.

I still have many lovely blocks from many fun block swaps over the years

 that are waiting to become finished quilts, 

so I had thought I was retired from swapping.

Then I saw this ... 


For all the information to sign-up and participate click on the link below: 

United Block Exchange 2024  @ OlieandEvie

Contact Person: Rhonda @ OlieandEvie

I follow

OlieandEvie on Instagram

which is where I heard of this fun block exchange.

Participants must make 50 small flag blocks for the swap. 


Unity is something very near and dear to my heart,

so I knew I wanted to participate.


I downloaded the information sheets, emailed Rhonda

and found my flag block fabrics in her shop.

You do not have to purchase fabrics there, 

but you have to have sufficient yardage to use the same fabrics for all your blocks

 and would have to send photos of your fabrics for approval,

 so I just ordered mine there to speed the process

and as a way of saying thank you for hosting.



The pattern may be purchased here: 

United by Gigi's Thimble


I have plenty of fabric in my stash to sew the heart and star blocks

and I found this background fabric that is a lovely shade of light blue gray

that should work well for all the fabrics 

that will be in the swap flag blocks that I receive. 

I looked at the all the pretty blocks and quilts #unitedquilt on IG 

to decide what I might want to use for my background fabric.

I stashed many yards of this Free Spirit Dakari light blue grid fabric

when it went of deep clearance four years ago.

I like to buy my background and backing fabrics 

when I see something I like for the right price. 


After almost all our snow had melted, it returned to winter this week.

It has been very cold, even in the sun and nothing has melted.


This little guy, whom we have not seen at our door since January's big storm

returned yesterday in the cold and wind for a handout.

On warm days he sleeps on our porch in the sun and visits with my indoor kitties.

He is quite the fighting tomcat and chases all intruders out of our yard.

Yes, we fed him,

but we do not let him in as he fights though the door with our Nutmeg.

This is Luka who has been a stray cat on our street for many years.

I know he sleeps in our neighbor's heated garage and they feed him.

When we did not see him for a couple of weeks, 

Mr Scrapatch asked our neighbor 

if they had seen him.

Turns out he was bitten by a dog or something 

and they had to take him to the vet,

give him meds and keep him locked in.

Fortunately, he has healed well under their care.

You can see the fur growing back in on the patch on his side. 

Lucky Luka. 

The life of a stray cat is never easy, but Luka is loved.

Yesterday's temperature tree block shows it did not get above freezing.

Today is not much warmer, but the wind has calmed down.

It is clouding up now for snow flurries tonight.


I have 3 rows now complete for my 

Temperature Tree Quilt 2024

The rows have 15 units each and measure 71" across. 


Maestro has been very helpful cutting the fabrics. 

My kitties and I hope you are happy and well today,

For more Thursday fun, visit my friends 

I Like Thursday @ Not Afraid of Color

Happy Thursday! 


1 comment:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You are using beautiful fabrics for your projects. The temperature trees are lovely. I am so happ y the stray cat is being so well care for. What a lucky fellow.