Monday, February 12, 2024

Finding My Way With Applique

 


The pieces for my first Vintage Flower Sampler Quilt hand applique block 

are finally prepped and ready to set in final places and sew.


It has been quite a trial and error process trying to find my way 

with this effort to actually do hand applique.


The large strawberry pieces that I started HERE 

were done using the freezer paper

method that so many of my online quilty friends use.

This still does not seem to be working for me

 despite watching many video tutorials. 

So I am exploring alter ways for me to prep the pieces.


Since it has been two weeks since I last posted this

you can deduce it has been a struggle. 

I am persevering.


As you can see in the above photo, I also am switching

 to a red on off-white Fig Tree Quilts eyelet print

 for my background fabric for my applique blocks.

The bright white looked too stark with the soft colors

 of the Japanese 30's reproduction fabrics. 



For the circles, I used a method I have employed in the past
for making nicely rounded circles.
I cut and pressed a small fusible fleece circle
 in the center of the back and gathered my edge and pressed.


Then I found the center of my new background square
and used a few drops of applique glue to hold
the first pieces in place.

All the pieces on the first strawberry were done with the 
freezer paper and starch method.
My thumbs are still multiplying when I try this technique.



So I decided to try using a piece of fusible fleece instead of the freezer paper.


Then I did use the brush and starch to turn the seam allowance on the back.

This felt better to my many thumbs so I may switch to this in the future

for all top pieces.


For the leaves which tuck behind the berry, 
I decided to try using non-adhesive interfacing 
and machine sewing to the front around the edges,
leaving an opening on the seam that will be covered by a top piece
 and then turning and shaping and pressing.

This works well for me for medium to large applique pieces.
In the past, for large pieces, 
I have closed the stitching around the edge 
and cut an opening in the center of the interfacing 
to turn right side out. 

For the smallest ones, I think I am going to have to use 
the fusible fleece and glue method. 

Since I completed all these pieces in since yesterday
I am feeling better about my efforts,
imperfect as they may be.

So now I am ready to start the actual applique tomorrow,
which is forecast to ne a another winter storm day 
with possibly several inches of snow.

Wish me luck with the sewing. I will need it.

The storm will probably be just a small bit of winter in New England.

4 comments:

Dorian said...

Good luck Ms Pat! I hope you can find a method that works well for you. I have always just done a simple needle turn applique. I've always had to pinch pennies, so not having to buy things I don't normally, like starch, it was the only way I learned to do applique. Enjoy your sewing, no matter which way you end up using.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Sounds like you've come up with a method that works for you, happy stitching@

dq said...

Your applique' fabrics are so pretty! I always love the way you put fabrics together.

I use freezer paper. I should try this.

Anonymous said...

You made me chuckle with your reference to multiplying thumbs . . . :o)
I admire your perseverance.
Kathleen - kakingsbury at verizon dot net