Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Foundation Paper Piecing ~ The Scrapatch Way


Ventana FPP Quilt Block 3

These are my first foundation pieced blocks in a few years.
I am really enjoying making these blocks.

This is the
I bought a kit for this pattern about four years ago and never got to it.

If you have never done FPP before this might be a good beginners pattern,
as the pieces are fairly large for FPP pieces.

It is also a good pattern to showcase large prints.

I felt all thumbs for the first few minutes,
but my foundation paper piecing skills came back 
like riding a horse.
I feel achy and accomplished now.
 I am pleased with myself for getting back in the saddle.

My best new tool for FPP is this


Add A Quarter Ruler 
available here, 
(and wherever foundation piecing notions are sold)
This six inch ruler was in my February
Sew Sampler Box
I might never have found this otherwise.
I have received many nice surprises and useful tools
in these subscription boxes
and consider them well worth the cost of this
monthly gift to me and my sewing room.

For a video on just how to use this ruler, watch
Kimberly Jolly @ FQS
efficiently make a Pineapple Block
with foundation papers that were also in the box.

Here is my photo (and wordy) tutorial for FPP My Way:


I fussy cut these large pieces for my block from my Fat 8th.

I am using  Carol Doak Foundation Paper for printing my patterns
as I have some I bought years ago.
This is thin and easily tears away.
When I need to purchase more I intend to buy inexpensive (unprinted) newsprint
in a 500 sheet ream.


Katniss was very helpful with placing the papers on the fabric
to find the right size cuts.
As you can see, I use the printed foundation papers to make sure my
fabric cuts will be the right size.
There is a built in 1/4" seam in the gray area around the pieces,
but you have to make sure you allow a quarter inch for the
inside sewing lines,
as in between section 1 and section 4.

I need to take care in my tutorial not to show the whole papers,
that would be giving away the designer's pattern.


The cuts needed for the background fabric are listed in the pattern.


The fabric goes on the back of the papers with the right side facing out.

I like to use these long  flat head pins,
which I have to take care to keep away from Katniss,
who likes to pick up glass head and plastic head pins
in her mouth and carry them away.
Silly kitty.

Some quilters I know use a glue stick.
Try what you like and do what works for you.

The pieces are numbered in each section and you sew in that order. 


When adding each piece, keep right side of fabric facing each other
and allow for your 1/4 inch seam. 
You do not have to measure a quarter inch,
just eyeball it and make sure the piece will extend to cover to the all the seam lines
after sewing and flipping it.

This is just like adding corners to flying geese.
You can use squares, but I like to save fabric by cutting
the triangles as shown in the pattern.

You do not need an expensive light box,
although they are nice and useful.
I just hold it up to my sewing table lamp
to check if my seam allowance is good.


Sometimes I insert a pin or two on the sewing line up through the paper
and fabric layers to make sure my seam allowance is straight.


I like to get a few sections pinned and ready
and then chain sew.

Set your stitch length shorter than you usually would.
I set mine to 1.8.
Use a larger needle.
I use a 90/14 Schmetz Chrome.
This helps to get a clean tear away when removing the papers.


Then press as you go. 


I like to use my cordless iron and 8" wool mat.
Dry iron.
I do not use steam as it may distort the papers.

Then cut the excess fabric before adding the next piece.
Here are the steps:



Fold back top fabric.



Turn over and fold back paper along the stitched line.



Align your ruler to allow for a quarter in seam.
If you do not have an Add A Quarter ruler,
use any ruler that has a clearly marked 1/4."

Check Twice, Cut Once...



Cut away the extra fabric.
This needs to be done after each seam is sewn to reduce bulk
and allow you to see the lines for the next piece.

This was the most frustrating step for me when I was first learning.
More than once I cut away the wrong thing,
rendering the piece to my scraps.

Maybe I am just older and wiser but since using the pretty pink
Add-A-Quarter Ruler,
which has a lip to firmly place it against the folder back paper,
I have yet to make a cutting error.

When I inevitably do, I am just going to have to shake it off
and move on.


You do not have to cut away the extra fabric on the outer edges
until after you add the rest of the pieces to that unit.

After all the sections are complete,
sew then together to make the block.

I leave the papers in for now. and press and trim my completed block.


When I was trimming this completed block
I was distracted while taking photos by and
inquisitive Nutmeg kitty.
who appeared to be trying to catch the moth.

After I posted this part and took a break,
I started to cut Block 4 and ... 


I started to use my Add-A-Quarter Ruler
to add that seam allowance when cutting those inner block seams. 

I fold the papers back along the sewing lines, as I will do later to trim the extra.


This makes the cutting so much easier.
There will also be very little "extra."


I do not know how ever I did FPP
without this useful tool!


Here is the fussy cut layout plan for Ventana Block 4.

I am loving it!

If you have any questions about any of this comment or email me
and I will do my best to answer.

I am not an expert.

I am just finding and following what works for me.

If you have any suggestions, I would like to hear them, too.

Happy Quilting!


No comments: