Thursday, March 14, 2019

I Like Thursday ~ Post #3 ~ Quiltfolk Like Me


This is me.

I saw this Here on Instagram and could not help but smile.

(1) Of course, I like to buy new fabric,
even though I have enough for many quilts stashed away. 

(2) I sew all times of day and night.
My hubby, who could be retired, still works a night shift 
and many times I am sewing in the wee hours of the morning 
by only sewing machine light
to while the time away.
Then many days the kitties and I are up before the sun 
in the sewing room playing quietly with the fabric
while he sleeps. 

(3)  I do always start a new quilt before I finish the one I am working on.
Sometimes it starts as image in my head when I am asleep,
a quilt I must make when I wake. 
These are quilty seeds planted in the dark
that need to be nourished to take root and grow.
If it is fabric I have I pull it out and arrange and study.
Then that may lead to a sewing just one block.
I have many WIPs.

I work on whatever calls to me on any given day or night.
this meets my ...



Goals for 2019
"Live ... Love ... Bake ... and Stitch"

Recipe for my go-to Banana Bread in the link.
I like Banana Bread
Life has given me ripe bananas today so my house is filled
with that lovely warm scent of baking good.

I will be enjoying a slice with a cuppa and reading ...



I found Quiltfolk here two weeks ago @ MIP Handmade

One look at the string tied quilt and I had to read its story.

So now I have a stack of these on my coffee table.

I like that these read as short stories
about real people
in real places
and their quilts.

I know the people are real because Issue 5 was about Eastern Massachusetts
and I have met some of these people.

The Eastern Massachusetts Issue features the local

Picture

New England Quilt Museum

and I saw this single issue originally here.
At the time, I somehow did not realize it was a periodical
and that it would lead me to other quilty places.

When I
Subscribed to Quiltfolk Here
I received an email newsletter that I liked so much
I wrote and asked if there was a link to it on their website,
because I wanted to quote it here on my blog.

The editor of the magazine wrote back that their email
had been so well received that they were going to put it on their website.
So here it is ...

"The Quilt You Didn't Make" by Michael McCormick

Mr McCormick writes,
"Embedded within our finished quilts, the ones we take to show and tell, give to family and friends, and enjoy for decades, are our omissions. Our myriad decisions can be felt, even appreciated, if only we take the time to look. And these choices, about what to include or not in a quilt, are in their own way a recorded history of who we were at the time of its making."


Sew my story is all there in my quilts,
and the ones I did not make are
embedded in the ones I did,
and my blog is a personal journal
about my quilts, my life, my times.

If you are reading my blog, 
you are probably a quilter, 
and you probably already knew that.

Now I do, too ... :-) 



This week I discovered  a favorite new quilting ruler to like.


Add A Quarter Ruler from CM Designs

To learn more 



Read My FPP Tutorial Here


I also like visiting and reading about the life and times of the

I Like Thursday Quilters @ Not Afraid of Color

Real stories about real people in real places.

Feels just like home. 

<3 <3 <3 

11 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Good Morning Pat! Happy Thursday! Oooooh, I can almost smell that banana bread through this link. I LOVE banana bread . . . especially with a cuppa. Makes me want to pop in and get some ripe bananas just for the cause. I've heard good things about the Quiltfolk magazine. I have not seen an issue, but it sure sounds like I should check it out. So many choices do go into making a quilt - I never really thought about the what-might-have-been and what the choices say about me at the moment. Lastly, I have been thinking about getting that ruler. I'm not sure I have a future in paper piecing, although I did enjoy how exact it is! ~smile~ Roseanne

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great list of likes. I agree when an idea hits it is best to sew away at it. But then we do have lots of WIP that stall out. I buy fabric that I like.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

There are so many things to like in your post today! I saw that fun saying at the top on Instagram, too, and that fits me as well. I am always getting ideas for the next project before the last one is finished! And, yes, many ideas come in the middle of the night. Thanks for the banana bread recipe - I'll have to try it!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

What a great post- especially the banana bread. But, I think we can all identify with that quilters prose. The project I'm currently working on came to me at 2:30 in the morning when I couldn't sleep! Have a great day! mary

Suzanne said...

Lovely post...banana bread is yummy anytime of the year...I like Quiltfolk magazine too. They recently did one about Utah.

claudia said...

I LOVE banana bread. I have a recipe somewhere that calls for sour cream. I know it's here...somewhere. I will find it and when I have ripe bananas I will make it. (I'll share the recipe too)
I had to chuckle at the quilting steps. They are sew how I live my life! Yesterday I had to take my car in for a recall issue, and even though I had just been on a fabric shopping spree days before, I went again, because I was "in town". Sure enough, I found fabric that reminded me of things my daughters like, so I purchased enough main fabric and some accent fabrics to match so I can make them pillow cases. It is all their fault! Of course, I bought extra, because...SCRAPS!!!

Judy D in WA said...

Your post made me snicker. I love new fabric and each project, I believe, need to include a little brand new fabric. And banana bread. Yumalicious! I love paper piecing and haven't done it for a while. Hmmm, should I look through my books maybe???

Rosemary said...

Your post made me smile and happy and hopeful!! I loved the article by Michael McCormick and would subscribe if it wasn't so expensive. Worth it, though. I'm 81 and agree 100% with The Steps for Quilting ... My body is old and tired but my mind is fresh and alert. Using the arts (quilting, etc.) is the best medicine there is. Thank you for a great article.

PaintedThread said...

I definitely dream of the next quilt before finishing the one I'm working on. I like your goals for 2019. Worthy aspirations!

LA Paylor said...

wasn't that fun, from banana bread... yes please, to encouragement to buy fabric to the last comments feels like home. Yes it does. Now that two of you have gotten quilty folk I must go find it too!!! See what you and Mary started? I have lots of quilts in lots of stages going... juggle juggle

Jean said...

I'm actually not a quilter (can't even sew, LOL) but I still enjoyed reading your post about it all. Love the sentiments in it. And of course, banana bread baking sounds wonderful. Hope you are enjoying your weekend so far.