Monday, July 12, 2021

Summer in the Garden ~ On a Rainy Monday


Rainy Monday = Funday in the Quilty Garden

 Today was another day of deluging in a string of deluging days.

That is okay.  

It was a good day to stay in and sew a summer garden. 


Monday is the day a new block is posted to the 

Summer in the Garden Quilt Along

Sew I stayed inside and sewed with my pretty flower fabrics.


Today's block is this pretty  Bird of Paradise block.


Here is my 12.5" unfinished block.

Note: If you are sewing, you may want to watch for possible cutting corrections for this block as there have been reports of possible errors in the Facebook group. 

I saw them, as I, unsuspectingly, posted the link to the pattern.

Bravely, I cut and sewed.

There is now a correction notice at the bottom of the original post regarding the size of the D squares.  This did not affect my making of the block because I followed my favorite method for square in a square block.



The cutting instructions say to cut the center of this square in a square at 4.5 inches.  This is due to the fact that the first round is a stitch and flip method.
I did not use the stitch and flip as I feel it wastes the cut off fabric.

I fussy cut my large floral to 3.5 inches.

Then I followed my favorite method for making square in a square blocks,
Since I did not use the pattern cutting measurements,
 I cannot further comment on them.

There are a lot of different ways to make the same block and all are valid.

My block did measure 12.5 inches so I am good.


I did end up with  this "Bonus Block." 
As I had cut the 4.5 inch square, I made an 8.5 inch Economy Block
to add to my quilt.


Are you sewing along in this quilty garden?




3 comments:

O'Quilts said...

lovely blocks

Laundered Cotton said...

Pretty fabrics. Thanks for the heads-up on the directions.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your fabrics are so bright and cheerful, you're going to have a happy quilt that will make you smile in the winter. Happy stitching!