Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Stitch Sew & Show ~ Week # 27 ~ Sampler Spree

 


Welcome to Stitch Sew & Show ~ Week 27

I have been sewing daily again on old projects and new ones.

It is good to be stitching in my happy place.



This little 6 inch Friendship Star is my most recent block
 and it is the start of a new big quilt. 

In April is saw this Let's Make a Sampler Announcement

When I saw this promo for this year's Moda Blockheads quilt, I was, at first, taken back by the fact you had to buy a book upfront, as the three previous quilts were free, one block, one week at a time. Then I looked at the book and decided I liked the idea of a pre-published book so I would not have to go hunting for where to find the weekly blocks.

So I bought the book in April and it has sat by my bed to peruse before sleep. Although I like scrappy quilts, I am still undecided as to how much the cover quilt appeals to my personal preferences. It is a beautiful quilt ... just not one I would want to imitate. So I enjoyed "reading" the book for about a month and let my quilty muse come up with an image one morning as I woke up.

I was a bit surprised that the image that popped up was only a few colors and not ones of my usual choosing. The quilt in my head had only these four colors in the blocks on a cream background with two lighter peachy pink fabrics in the sashing.

These are not colors I have just sitting in my stash.

I have yellows and pinks and blues and reds, but not these actual colors and tones.


When I saw these four fabrics on the internet, it seemed destined to be. 

I know I had not seen an image of this upcoming fabric collection in April or May or even June so I know it did not influence my quilty musings. 


So when I saw it @ Maureen Cracknell's Instagram page four days ago, it was a case of fabric love at first sight.

I looked for more IG posts for the fabric and found the fabric in stock here 


 @ Saltwater Fabrics on Instagram



I had never heard of Saltwater Fabrics, but it is a small business in Maine and I like to support small businesses, so I ordered my fabric there over the weekend and I received it on Monday. It even came in a drawstring backpack bag.

This lovely bag of fabrics  is my 40th Anniversary present from Mr. Scrapatch.

and it arrived on our actual anniversary.

If I had to describe our forty years together in a few words,

"cozy and magical" it has been. 

So I guess I will be calling this our anniversary quilt" when it is finally completed.

It may take 10 years so my goal is to make this by our 50th Anniversary.

Since our life together has always been about the day to day journey and not the destination, this is all good.


So these are the fabrics for my blocks for the

Sampler Spree QAL ~ Main Page

I am using my treasured Bountiful Flax Weave by Sharon Holland 

for the block backgrounds.

Now all I have to do is make the other 99 blocks. 

In the Sampler Spree Intro Post ~ Here 

it was suggested that their might be color themes and a "Scavenger Hunt" way of approaching the blocks each week. Is there ever! 

When I checked out the Sampler Spree ~ Week #1 Here

 there were 10 blocks and they were scattered throughout the book.

I will not be scavenging.  I will be sewing in numerical order.

There is also a color theme per week, but I will not be doing that either,

It is a good thing the promos for the quilt along suggested that we could participate any way the we wanted, or I would no actually be sewing along.



So this is Sampler Spree Block 1 ~ Friendship Star.
It is still gray and rainy in my quilty corner and I am having difficulty taking photos showing the true colors of these fabrics.  
Here is the block with my planned sashing fabrics. 

On to Block 2! 

Sampler Spree Week 5 Starts Here Today

Are you sewing along?



What are you sewing this week?

Please share! 



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

6 comments:

Ulrikes Smaating said...

Hej,
thank you for your nice comments on my blog :0) love the saltwater fabrics, amazing colours! great to see your work in the block, nice star block....hugs from Denmark, Ulrike :0)

Gretchen Weaver said...

It's nice to work with a new color scheme, it wakes us up! I had noticed there wasn't a new Blockheads happening this year and wondered why. A book is nice, this way you can work ahead and complete the quilt faster. Happy stitching!

Dorian said...

Happy 40th anniversary my friend! That is a wonderful thing to celebrate. And some lovely fabric to celebrate with. Have fun with your sampler. And have a lovely day.

LA Paylor said...

I'm not doing the sew along but I'm going to do the kaleidoscope with Ricky Tims next week. I made one of those for Christmas and loved making it so I want to do one in fall colors. Like doing a rain dance, If I make a fall quilt will the heat and smoke break? The news said it's going to be a warm winter... ack... good thing there's "no climate change" or it would be worse.

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

That's the absolute perfect anniversary gift! Those fabrics are gorgeous. And I've got a new small business that I've bookmarked. Thanks for the link. Looking forward to seeing more of these blocks. Happy stitching! -Andrea

Chantal said...

Love the colour palette you chose for your new project. It's not colours I would have picked either but they work well together. Happy belated anniversary. Enjoy! ;^)