Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Improv and Improved ~ To-Do Tuesday



My choice for my improv blocks: Fabric C!

I am loving the sharp contrast in these fabrics. 

Here is my first Improv Block for the 

30 Days of Improv QAL ~ Info Here

This week's prompt calls for "square."

"Square" seems a bit of a contradiction for blocks that are meant to be free

 and non-traditional and wonky. 

That is okay ... I have always been a little wonky and contradictory ... lol!


I pulled these fabrics from my stash:

gray shabby from Riley Blake Designs, 

white tone on tone that has paper airplanes on it with no selvage info,

blue steel grunge by Moda Fabrics,

mustard geometric from Riley Blake,

and an orange splatter dot from Windham Fabrics.


These fabrics work well with my layer cake of Words To Live By by Gingiber


 As suggested, I tried cutting my squares without a ruler.

I admit that I did use the grid on my cutting mat as a guide. 


I also embraced the wonky and did not stress over perfectly aligned edges 
and straight seams. 
My resulting block is based on a nine patch 
with bits and pieces of scraps to give it a modern new look.
I am quite happy with it.


Today is Day 2 of the Improv challenge and it called for using smaller squares so I used the scraps from day one and cut them down to about 1" square and added cuts from the layer cake to each side.


 This is Block 2 for my improv quilt.

The suggested size was 5 inch blocks
 so I am trimming and squaring my blocks to 5.5." 

Yes, I am making the blocks perfect squares ... at least for now. 

~~~

Since it is Tuesday, it is time to check my list from last week and see how I am doing with this weekly goal setting thing. 

Last Week's List:

1) Make more Kinship Fusion Sampler Blocks ... yes

2) Make the Weekly Summer in the Garden quilt block next Monday ...yes

3) Continue my Sew Sampler Sell Off ...yes, my fabric nest egg is growing!

4) Make more Cozy & Magical Sampler Spree Blocks ... yes

5) Find a  hand stitching, embroidery or cross stitching UFO and do some slow stitching ... yes

6) Decide on my fabrics for the 30 Days of Improv Blocks and be ready to sew for the start day ... yes 

7) Block off time that will be "Log Cabin Blocks Only" time and get sewing.  This quilt has to be done for my son's birthday this fall ... no 

Score:  6 Yes and 1 No ... this is a Yes!   

I have improved this week... :) 

I also had lots of sewing fun this week.

I need to get realistic about the log cabin quilt an figure out a plan. 

~~~

Goals for the New Week:

1) Make more Kinship Fusion Sampler Blocks

2) Make the Weekly Summer in the Garden quilt block next Monday.

3) Continue my Sew Sampler Sell Off and de-stash efforts. 

4) Make more Cozy & Magical Sampler Spree Blocks.

5) Slow Stitch of my project of choice.  Photo coming soon.

6) Make the blocks for the weekly prompt for the  30 Days of Improv Blocks 

7)  Have fun in my happy sewing place. 

I am Linking Up with 


To-Do Tuesday @ chrisknits

Looking forward to a new week of sewing fun.  

May your week be sew happy and full. 


5 comments:

piecefulwendy said...

You're off to a great start! I like the fabrics very much!

Kathy E. said...

Your blocks look great! I'm sewing along with the QAL too and even though I enjoy improv sewing, I find that having very little information to go on is kind of frustrating. So far, seeing other blocks on IG is encouraging to me and as long as that keeps working, I'll keep sewing for 28 more improv days!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have lots of "yes" on your list this week, so you got a lot done! The improv QAL looks like fun!

Linda said...

Love the fabrics in that pretty improv block. Great job on your goals!

quiltingbydawn said...

Great job with your improv blocks! Love your fabric choices!