Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Stitch Sew & Show 2023 ~ Irish Chain Quilts and More





Today I am still piecing my blocks for my Scrappy Irish Chain Quilt


I first posted about this quilt along in the link below:

Scrappy Irish Chain Scrap Along @ Coriander Quilts


I am working on the 12 of Block B needed for the

Scrappy Irish Chain ~ Free Pattern by Jessie Fincham

 and I do not have much that is new to show, 

so I decided to blog more about Irish Chain Quilt patterns. 

I always like to learn the history behind a traditional quilt pattern.


Here is an interesting read on the 

History of the Irish Chain Pattern @ Womenfolk.com

It is also fun to explore the variations and different ways

 of making a particular quilt design. 


Here is a modern take on this pattern using 2.5" square pre-cuts:

Of course, scraps and squares cut form yardage can also be used for this pattern.



An alternate way of making this using a strip piecing technique may be found in the 

Triple Irish Chain @ Quilting Daily

I like the way the chain is made with smaller units.

If I were cutting yardage to make this quilt, I might follow this plan. 


I have made Irish Chain quilts, single and double and triple, several times.

Some of my quilts predate my blogging efforts so photos of them do not exist.


This is my favorite quilt that I have made that is based on the Irish Chain,

Misty Irish Morning Quilt

This was a mystery quilt in 2012.

This pattern by Jess Smith may be purchased at  Quilt Woman

In particular, I love the wide chain border that surround the center of this quilt.

It is all strip pieced and easy to sew. 

~~~~~~

Do you have a favorite Irish Chain Quilt or pattern or technique to make this traditional design?

I would love to see and hear about it. 

I was not thinking I would host the Wednesday Linky Party this year, 

but here it is today.

Please share whatever you are working on

 or an Irish Chain Quilt from the past.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter


3 comments:

Dorian said...

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself Pat. As you know, it's one of my favorite patterns as well. There are so many pretty variations :) Can't wait to see your finish top.

Linda said...

What a nice post about Irish chains - so many varieties! I love them but tend to forget about them when I am deciding on a pattern. I like your start!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Irish chain quilts are so lovely! I've pieced several but never kept one for myself. Thanks for the info on Irish chain quilts, happy stitching! I'm glad you're having fun with this project!