Thursday, July 18, 2019

I Like Thursday Post # 20 ~ Summer Dreaming


This is what I found when I opened my back door on Wednesday morning. 

When I was waking I was dreaming of the Kinship quilt I have  been sewing.
It was an image of the quilt top in my yard for a photo.
It was very different from the layout that I have been thinking of using.
The image started to fade and I tried to slip back into the dream to see it better,
but a soft noise on my back porch brought me fully awake.

I open my door to find this tree.

It was not really a surprise.
I knew it was coming but I did not know what day.

This tree was ordered online and hand delivered to my back porch from 



This is a 


I bought this tree because the description says

"Zone: 3 - 8
Mature Size: 8-10ft High x 6-8ft Wide
Current Size: 4-5'

Growing Tips

Prefers good, loamy soil. Most adaptable of all hydrangeas to different soil types. Most urban tolerant and very difficult to kill. Prune in late winter/early spring. Medium moisture, not as water dependent as Hydrangea. Will tolerate drought." 
This 
It is the third tree in two years that we have planted on our front lawn.
The other two trees were dappled willows that we purchased from a nearby garden center.
Neither one survived despite the fact that we followed all their advice 
and took the very best care of it.
Nothing else in our yard has died. 
We decided to find a different tree from a different place.
This one says ""difficult to kill" ... sounds good to me. 
And it is so pretty ... 

Looking forward to seeing this tree grow. 
Third times the charm!


Also in this order and delivery were two pink climbing roses 
to grow over our new garden gate and trellis.


These will someday look like this image of  Rose "New Dawn"

"Rosa 'New Dawn'

This repeat blooming rose has captivated the world with its large, blush-pink double flowers that bloom profusely until frost. Its abundance of fragrant flowers has made it so enticing, in fact, thatNew Dawn was voted the most popular rose in the world at the 11th World Convention of Rose Societies! Butterflies adore this rose, which can be grown as a shrub, but is more well-known for its excellence as a climber."
I knew I wanted a good climber,  pink and it had to be fragrant. 
Looking forward to seeing this bloom. 
Finding it locally was proving difficult.

I will order from ShrubBucket again.
(If you are in their delivery area and decide to buy from them,
let me know.  I can get free plants for referrals.)


This is the book I read this week,
I picked it up in the gift shop at the local hospital when I went in for bloodwork.
They have a lovely little gift shop that is run by volunteers to raise funds
for the hospital and I always buy something when I pass though.


Other things have made me smile this week  are these lovely charms
and 
Katniss and I have had a good week so far with the


Here is today's block ~ Day 18
Now if I could only recall that dream image of the layout!


Well, that's all I got this week for my friends at the


May you have a Happy Thursday!

9 comments:

Julierose said...

What a gorgeous hydrangea--love how the flowers look so frothy!
Great addition to your bountiful garden and lawn areas....
Those charm squares go right with your gardening prowess...hugs, Julierose

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Those charms are so pretty. But, that hydrangea tree that arrived is just so "cool".
Enjoy. mary

Bernie Kringel said...

I love these posts - simple and filled with gratitude. I didn't know there were tree hydrangeas. How pretty that is. Hoping it thrives in your yard!!

Shannon said...

That Hydrangea tree is gorgeous! I've always wanted to grow hydrangeas but figured it was too hot and droughty here, but maybe that would be a good one to try. Really lovely and I didn't even know they came in tree form! I'll have to check out shrub bucket!

claudia said...

I love that hydrangea tree! I have tried to grow hydrangeas here and managed to kill them. I see them all over this community, but my thumbs are brown and not green. I am tempted to go to the Master Gardener group and ask for help!
I love the colors in Kinship Block #15. You always come up with the best colors!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your photos of your yard and gardens are always so lovely - I enjoy all the green and color you have. I hope the new hydrangea and roses really flourish for you!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Pat! Your hydrangea tree made me smile right away. We had two of them at our last house and they always flowered so nicely and filled it on each side of the front door. And the fragrance was really nice as well albeit faint. Those climbing roses look pretty as well, and Shrub Bucket sounds pretty darn handy. I don't suppose they deliver to Wisconsin . . . Katniss looks so darn sweet next to that block. I'm glad you're having a fabulous week. ~smile~ Roseanne

PaintedThread said...

ShrubBucket. Excellent! Those charms are lovely colors.

LA Paylor said...

thanks for the garden referral... gonna check them out. Could the ground be too acidic/base or something that rejects trees? I loved the statement about hard to kill. I need hardy plants here. Mine are wilting in the hundred dgree heat and sun despite watering. Oy vey. The roses are so so pretty, like the kitten.